Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are gherkins?

Options
  • 25-05-2002 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

i saw this jar of horrible looking stuff in centra yesterday called pickled gherkins , just what are gherkins?are they nice , they look kinda horrible but sure i dont even know what they are so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    i saw this jar of horrible looking stuff in centra yesterday called pickled gherkins , just what are gherkins?are they nice , they look kinda horrible but sure i dont even know what they are so?

Gerkins r kind of like pickles. IMO i think they're horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oh thanks suppafly , aw man they look rotten and there was all these floaty bits in the jar , it was rotten!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If you have ever eaten a Big Mac or McDonalds quarter pounder, it will have had sliced gherkins in it (unless of course you requested their removal).

i dont eat bigmacs because they contain beef , which i dont eat , so am what do gherkins taste like?are they rotten?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    what do gherkins taste like?are they rotten?

I don't think they are rotten, I rather like them actually.
    They taste like mild pickled onions, is the closest I could get to describing their taste.

• Advertisement

oh rite , am i mite try them some time , but i dont know , id have to close me eyes first , they look horrible but you cant judge a book by the cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

sliced they kinda look like cucumbers KINDA! and they are mad crunchy. hope i'm thinking of the right things. they okay.

yeah yeah , the ones in the jar look like little mini cucumbers , alrite meesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I kinda like them, they do taste like pickled onions if they are pickled yea. I think they are just a different breed of cucumber.

Gherkins are eaten by the Russians with vodka. They sip a "roumk" of vodka and wash it back with gherkin or smoked fish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i love gherkins.
    the are mini cucumbers that are pretyt much marinted in vinegar.
    i also love rollmops and all that sort of stuff. there a sour.
    and amp always gives me his when we have bigmacs or whoppers :)
    yummy.

• Advertisement

i never heard of rollmops , what are they?cool , i should go rob a gherkin out of somebodys burger just for a taste yhe next time im in mcdonalds .

a roll mop is a small fish (not sure what type) that is rolled up into a swisroll shape and then left in vinegar.
    completely sour, makes you grimace, but absolutely lovely.
    i like all that sort of stuff.
    i think im pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Fecking rubberised cucumber. Hate them. And I'm not the father btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Ever seen the add for mcDonnalds where the guy takes the gherkins out of his burger?
    Thye know that no-one likes them - YET THEY STILL PUT THEM IN.

Me and my gf often eat in burger king (mcDonnalds is a vile place with vile food) and it is like a ritual... i must remove the gherkins from my burger becasue they are rotten. She must put mine into her because she loves them :)

It 's a matter of taste, although i know more people that dislike them than i do that like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

i love them and have often been known to sit down and eat them straight from the jar!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    Ever seen the add for mcDonnalds where the guy takes the gherkins out of his burger?
    Thye know that no-one likes them - YET THEY STILL PUT THEM IN.

No....most people *do* like them, that's why they leave them in...just like the secret sauce.

I dunno, the only time I ever ate gherkins was in a big mac, so I haven't had any since turning veggie. I can't really imagine the taste of them without the meat though....they'd prolly be horrible.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by SheroN
    i love them and have often been known to sit down and eat them straight from the jar!

Me too! I do that a lot. Same with green olives. What is it about pickly tasting stuff? And is pickly a real word?

Originally posted by Kolodny

Me too! I do that a lot. Same with green olives. What is it about pickly tasting stuff? And is pickly a real word?

who cares....

its all good

i ate one lads! least i think it was one , i fecked it out of me sis`s bigmac , it was rotten! i didnt like it ta all it was kind of , am i dont know i was trying to get coke into me that fast , i didnt like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Seamus, if you ever get the hankering for a burger taste try a Linda McCartney flame grilled burger in a nice fresh batch bun with some Bicks Hanburger Relish, freshly chopped onion, two or three slices of pickle, a slice of plastic (processed) cheese and a dollop of French's American mild mustard.

NYOM!

I always think being a veggie doesn't have to mean depriving yourself!

K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

And vegan plastic cheese tastes almost identicle to the "real" thing (but doesn't melt as well under the grill). Just goes to show how plastic it really is.

On the subject of gherkins, I'm really phobic about cucumbers and can't even eat a salad or sandwhich that cucumber has been taken out of, yet I don't mind gherkins. I wouldn't eat a whole one, but a slice or two is gorgeoulicious in a sandwich or on a (vege)burger. Obviously its cucumber-ness is lost in the pickling process.

Pickled walnuts, now they're just weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Love em.
    burgers, snadiwches, rasher sambos etc.
    Lovely.

Marinated makerel is savage wwm.
    Much the same as your rollies.

The gherkin you get in McDonalds is shít. Sloppy, wet mushy piece of pish.
    There is a certain brand, Krauss or Haywards that do lovely crunchy ones that aren't too spicey.
    Green olives are nice too.
    Have gone off picked onions. Only with salads now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Aye I have a tendancy to buy big jars of gherkins and just munch through them. Lovely stuff. Same for pickled onions.

Gherkins are top in sambos as well.

Eamo, rollmops are herrings. Not fond of 'em, bit too sour for my taste, although that said I haven't eaten them in ages and since then I've developed a taste for sushi and sashimi so you never know....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

God I feckin love them. I'd go as low as to work in Mickey D's just so I could scoff them the whole day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

as SyxPak and Shinji say, they are brilliant on their own. anything that comes in a jar with lots of floaty bits inside of it very good. gherkins, onions, eggs, etc. recently, i bought a big huge jar of pickled red peppers from that 'Halal' shop (people that went to the last CPL trials in dublin should know where it is), and its absolutely fantastic. stored in some sort of a brew of vinegar, oil with little garlic bits.... nyom :)

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, I got a bag of these fúckin gorgeous red things that look rediculously like red chillies, but are in fact not red chillies as the girl at teh stall was so kind to point out. ("They're not chillies. You n00b").
    They are gorgeous. Well worth the €5 for abag.
    I'd eat em all myself.
    They're hot, but more savoury then spicey.
    Fookin good munchies after anight out with some sheese, good fancy shmancy bread and a can of something bitter and frothy (No Shinji, not that).

"Pld" goes out to the Market People of Galway.

'Round bottom of Shop St. on Saturday mornings.

Advertisement