Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Digital/Surround Sound Set up

• 12-07-2001 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Right, I've got my DVD player and a nice 28" Widescreen Sony, now I want to sort out a good dolby digital amp and speakers to make watching flicks even more enjoyable. I haven't a clue about what's good or not. I know these things ain't cheap if you want to do it right. Has anyone splashed out on a good sound system set up ? If so, what were your experiences and what would you recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

boink !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

mate of mine is looking for the same thing, Richer Sounds have a pretty decent deal on a the moment for 500 quid..
    Basically you get a speaker set, amp and subwoofer, support DTS as well... pretty good deal for that price anyway.
    I couldn't find it on their website but just pop in and im sure they'll show you it in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I dabble a lot in this field, fitting sound systems in various places.

I find that if you have a good hi-fi you can save yourself a lot of money by just buying a few speakers/subs and running cable too them, if you dont have a good hi-fi then buy an amp to do this, the advantage of this is its cheaper and in my experience better, plus you get to dabble a lot more with the sound...hehe

All you really need to do is run phono's from your tv/digibox/video/dvd player into your hi-fi's head unit and from their run leads out to your speakers, i done the very same set up not so long ago, went a bit further and projected the signal onto a big screen also very nice effect i mite add!

Farls

The right way, the wrong way and MY way!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:
    All you really need to do is run phono's from your tv/digibox/video/dvd player into your hi-fi's head unit and from their run leads out to your speakers, i done the very same set up not so long ago, went a bit further and projected the signal onto a big screen also very nice effect i mite add!
    </font>

Sounds neat enough for stereo sound, but I'd suggest that anyone thinking 5.1 keep away from this - You need a proper discrete 5.1 or 5.1+1M decoder to enjoy those DVDs the way they were made, connected via coax or optical digital. If you buy multiregion DVDs (and why wouldn't you), its worth considering DTS as well, as DTS tracks are becoming fairly common on Region 1 DVDs, and arguably sound better.

As regards choosing one, I would go to Richer Sounds and see what they have at a price you are willing to pay, then look for reviews online. Its hardly worth looking for reviews yet, as the street prices and availability vary so much.

Finally, don't forget to pick up your copy of Video Essentials on DVD. Its absolutely vital if you want to get the best out of your 2000IEP+ investment

Hope there's something useful in there, TinCool, and if you need more detailed info...

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 13-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

5.1...hmmm....*drools homer style* my wallet doesn't go that far yet! this job all depends on the money your willing to spend really obviously a fair bit!..hehe

Farls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Well, I have a great set up here for you.. Sony ..

If you just bought a plain DVD player in which case u must have since you are asking for the Sound set up.

Go into uer nearest Sony center and Enquire about this system..

the HTK-170 is the complete set up 5.1 etc.. but is only Dolby Surround Pro Logic.

Then there is the HTK-215 which supports the Dolby Digital and is a great system... 5.1 as well, how ever I am unsure my self about the DTS sound formate.. so if some 1 can help me out on this.. thx

Some prices on those

HTK-170 = £359
    HTK-215 = £439

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks for the info guys. I'm definitely looking to go for Dolby Digital and not just Surround. If I'm gonna be sending £5-600 on a the sound set up, I'd want it to be Dolby Digital. If it means spending a couple of 100 more then so be it. I do know that my DVD player also supports DTS, so again thats another option. But just looking at some of my DVDs, they all support Dolby Digital (cept for some of the older flicks).
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -ADREN-:
    Well, I have a great set up here for you.. Sony ..

If you just bought a plain DVD player in which case u must have since you are asking for the Sound set up.

Go into uer nearest Sony center and Enquire about this system..

the HTK-170 is the complete set up 5.1 etc.. but is only Dolby Surround Pro Logic.

Then there is the HTK-215 which supports the Dolby Digital and is a great system... 5.1 as well, how ever I am unsure my self about the DTS sound formate.. so if some 1 can help me out on this.. thx

Some prices on those

HTK-170 = £359
    HTK-215 = £439
    </font>

Is that just the dobly digital box or speakers also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

import the gear from the US.
    you will get the most awesome $hit for $500-1000, 7.1 and what not.
    and forget customs, they never hassle me about my imports.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:
    But just looking at some of my DVDs, they all support Dolby Digital (cept for some of the older flicks).</font>

In fact, all of your DVDs support Dolby Digital - its part of the DVD specificaton. Even DTS DVDs also have to have DD soundtracks (although not necessarily 5.1). I wouldn't rule out DTS though, IMHO it does sound somewhat better.

I also wouldn't suggest going for the Sony amp setup; its a matter of opinion, but Sony simply doesn't represent high quality or good value, particularly if you're willing to spend 500-600IEP. The HTK-215 also doesn't support DTS. Sony make also make a HTK-315, which is somewhat more powerful (55W as opposed to 25W for the 215), and supports DTS into the bargain. I've not heard it, but I'd suggest check out amps from Harmon or Denon before committing yourself to the Sony.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    import the gear from the US.
    you will get the most awesome $hit for $500-1000, 7.1 and what not.
    and forget customs, they never hassle me about my imports.
    </font>

Not a good idea, IMHO. Usually Hi-Fi in the states is almost exactly as expensive here, probably because of similar price fixing regimes. You'll also almost certainly get nabbed by customs if its sent by Fedex or DHL, since they handle customs clearance on your behalf and have no incentive to be lazy. Of course, if its An Post... wink.gif

Forget about 7.1, it doesn't exist. The closest you'll get is DTS ES, which has 6 discrete channels. Its not easy to get an amp that supports it though, plus they're expensive. (Dolby Digital EX, which they often tout as being 6.1, in fact isn't, because the rear centre channel is matrixed from the rear left and rear right. Hard to get hold of an amp for it though, anyway).

Hope thats useful...

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 14-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 14-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hudson806:
    Not a good idea, IMHO. Usually Hi-Fi in the states is almost exactly as expensive here, probably because of similar price fixing regimes. You'll also almost certainly get nabbed by customs if its sent by Fedex or DHL, since they handle customs clearance on your behalf and have no incentive to be lazy. Of course, if its An Post... wink.gif

</font>

I can vouch for that. I had some stuff sent by FedEx and I was hit with a hefty import duty. It would have cost nearly the same in the end had I bought here. frown.gif An Post are great though smile.gif

i have a Sony str-DB940 and I have to say its the best amp I have heard, and I have had a few. I bought it last year and it cost£500, that didn't include the speakers. As I used the ones I had from a previous (dolby pro-logic) setup. 100wat output to all the speakers and two outputs for subwoofers.(I think I'm starting to go deaf at this stage biggrin.gif)

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/homeaudioes/esreceivers/str-db940.shtml

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 15-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

im only taking from my expierience, sure, if your buying directly from an online us store then you will get nabbed, but talking to ppl directly.
    and 7.1 does not exist....?

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:

and 7.1 does not exist....?
    </font>

I don't want to be argumentative, but, no it doesn't really; The closest there is to 7.1 is Sony's SDDS - its an discrete 8-channel system, but its only available for use in cinemas.

There's also so-called '7.1' systems based on amps like the Lexicon DC-1. They're only called that for convenience though - in fact these '7.1' just take in a 5.1 bitstream and matrix certain channels (I've never seen it in action, but the idea would be that the front left and rear left would be matrixed to create a centre left speaker).

To put it another way, if I bought 15 speakers and plugged them all into the mono output from my DVD player, would I be justified in calling it '15.1 sound'? Of course not. I'm not dissing the Lexicon, by the way; it looks cool wink.gif (It also costs about 2 grand just for the power amp frown.gif )

Systems like the Lexicon '7.1' are more accurately called 5.1+2M, but Home Theater fans often keep it simple and refer to it as '7.1', which only makes it more confusing for people who are new to Home Theatre.

To re-iterate though, the greatest number of discrete channels currently supported on DVD is 6.1 (DTS ES).

(My apologies to everyone else for hijacking this discussion to talk about obscure American amps wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 15-07-2001).]

Sorry to question you no that, i had based by agrument purely on.... 7point1.jpg

My bad...

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well I prefer Pre-Amps to full AV/Amps. Simply beacuse you only have to replace one piece when a new viable format appears (And there are a few on the horizon).

Things to consider :

DTS, I think is better than DD, and more importantly has a reasonable amount of music DVDs and CDs that sound amazing on it.

5.1 ANalogue INputs: Multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio only output CD quality on the digi-out, so if this is your main amp/preamp you will need 5.1 analogue to use these properly

Prologic II: A new system for decoding old Prologic soundtracks into 5.1 discrete (Prologic is only 4.1) tracks. Not a necessity but a nice addition (though rare as yet).

Firmware upgrade?: Many Av decoders these days have PC upgradable firmware to add new modes and formats as time goes on.

DD/DTS EX: Adds a matrixed rear center, not a necessity, but DTS 6.1 with a discrete rear is imminent.

The Kit I use at home:

Sony TA-9000ES DD/DTS/SDDS (Virtual on 5.1) preamp.
    Front NAD S200 Power Amp -> Thiel CS3.6 Spkrs
    Rear - Arcam Alpah10p -> Tannoy Rev. R3 spkrs
    Center - Arcam 8 -> Dynaudio C120
    Wharfedale Modus Sub

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Well I prefer Pre-Amps to full AV/Amps. Simply beacuse you only have to replace one piece when a new viable format appears
    </font>

Hear, hear, but in your case, pretty much every piece costs more than the 5-600 total TinCool is willing to spend... wink.gif

(And there are a few on the horizon).
    </font>

As a matter of interest, what discrete formats do you see on the horizon? Sony have repeatly said that SDDS will not make a DVD appearance, Dolby don't appear to have anything in the pipeline beyond EX, and DTS 6.1 discrete is beginning to look stillborn. Are you just talking about matrixing hardware like the lexicon DC-1?

Prologic II: A new system for decoding old Prologic soundtracks into 5.1 discrete (Prologic is only 4.1) tracks.
    </font>

Is Prologic not 2+2M with no LFE?(I'm just curious because I've never used Prologic before, but I can't figure how they would decode 4.1 from a 2 channel analog mix)

Sony TA-9000ES DD/DTS/SDDS (Virtual on 5.1) preamp.
    Front NAD S200 Power Amp -> Thiel CS3.6 Spkrs
    Rear - Arcam Alpah10p -> Tannoy Rev. R3 spkrs
    Center - Arcam 8 -> Dynaudio C120
    Wharfedale Modus Sub</font>

Very nice setup, though it's a little outside of the price range TinCool wants to stay in...

Do you mind me asking what sort of display all this is hooked up to?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭pol

This thread seeems to be a bit above my head, but I have a question.....I have a Dolby suround pro logic TV with 7 speakers. I wanted to wire my stereo into the set up, ( in the sky box, as thats the only Aux I have)with this set up I can hear the Tv through the stereo speaker awell as the 7 speakers but can I use the 7 speakers to hear music from the stereo? And if so how would I do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As a matter of interest, what discrete formats do you see on the horizon? Sony have repeatly said that SDDS will not make a DVD appearance, Dolby don't appear to have anything in the pipeline beyond EX, and DTS 6.1 discrete is beginning to look stillborn. Are you just talking about matrixing hardware like the lexicon DC-1?

DTS 6.1 will catch on I think, but no-ones bothering to replace current hardware to get it.
    THX will be releasing a 7.1 format 'soon', and have plans for 10.1 a bit down the line (silliness methinks).

Is Prologic not 2+2M with no LFE?(I'm just curious because I've never used Prologic before, but I can't figure how they would decode 4.1 from a 2 channel analog mix)

Yup it is really, but the old nomenclature went by discernable channels not discreet. Do you have 2 stereo front, 1 middle, 1 for the 2 rears, the latetr 2 being matrixed on the stereo signal as you pointed out. The .1 for a sub is meant to show that it isnt really a 'full' channel, this started with prologic terminology again, so it applies even though with todays format it implies a discreet LFE where there is none.

Very nice setup, though it's a little outside of the price range TinCool wants to stay in...

Do you mind me asking what sort of display all this is hooked up to?

Actually the TV was one of the cheapest components.. smile.gif.. this all started life as a Hifi and just got the AV components added as time went on (And DTS music was the main reason I bought the TA-9000Es, there weren't enough movies at the time to warrant it). Anyway it's a 32" Sony Trinitron, cant remember the model number, basically the one pre-Wega.
    The other good thing about using pre-amps and power-amps you can upgrade over the years. This setup has taken about 3 years to get to where it is from a sub £400 Prologic kit.

POL:
    Check your TV for stereo inputs, there should be for connecting a Video at least, use these. IF there are none maybe try getting a Scart to 3x phono (Composite video, and 2 audio) cable. PLug it in and connect the 2 phono cables to your hifi (Never tried this but it might work)

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 15-07-2001).]

Drool... Makes my stereo PC speakers look rather pathetic, anyways...

Advertisement