Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education

Options
  • 25-05-2002 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Has anyone here gone to the I.O.E.? Is it good?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know a teacher in there by the name of John Brown.
    Probably the best teacher in the country imho.

Never went to the place myself (he taught in my school) so cant speak about the Institute itself.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

Yeh... i did Higher Maths in the Institute all this year with John Brown and he's a brilliant teacher...

really clear in what you need to know and he knows how to explain it!!!

Well worth the money

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you see him tell him Tom Murphy says hello
    (He wouldn't recognise the nick DeVore :) )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I just finished repeating my leaving there this year. Bloody excellent place to learn. Excellent teachers. Excellent atmosphere and you will met some truly interesting ppl there(teachers included)...

A word of advice... I have been to both Bruce college(2 years) and The Institute of education(1 year).... Many ppl put them on a par...
    Bruce is nowhere near as good a place to learn than the Institute... and the INstitute is cheaper too :)

I had 5 teachers there this year:

Maths and Applied Maths - "Adian Roantree":
    A nut job but an excellent teacher. I have never had a maths teacher like him that can make you love the history behind differentiation with such passion :)

Chemistry - "Tara Lyons":
    I have has Tara for chemistry for the last 3 years. She followed me to the Institute from Bruce.. Gets everything into your head if u r willing

Physics - "Pat Doyle":
    A blast. Gave me a great referance for trinity. The guy must say the word "OK" about 200 times each class.

Business - "Willie Murphy":
    Graham Norton teaching Business... nuff said :)

Economics - "John Lynam":
    Totally dedicated to his students. Very unusually methods. Loves 3 things... Horse racing, women and Vodka. At the end of the year he gave us his contact details just incase we needed support. He then brought us all to the pub for a piss up on his credit card. :)

My lil bro is going to the Institute next year for 5th and 6th year. I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I too would recommend it on word-of-mouth, either for full-time or part-time. The part-time course has the best biology teacher in the country - Joe Reville (who I had in 5th/6th year). Plenty of people I know too have come out very well. That said, don't sell yourself on their past grades - remember, a lot of their students are repeats, and their are no extra-curriculur activites, so you can expect their average LC grades to be higher than the country average.

:)

• Advertisement

Physics - "Pat Doyle":
    A blast. Gave me a great referance for trinity. The guy must say the word "OK" about 200 times each class.

Absolutley Fantastic teacher. Makes the most mundane physics topics interesing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 RexLupus

Was there all this year.

Pat Doyles the single best teacher ive ever come across, but i slept through his class most of the time....

There is some huge amount of drugs in that place. Lotta the people are very snobby aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 RexLupus

Was there all this year.

Pat Doyles the single best teacher ive ever come across, but i slept through his class most of the time....

There is some huge amount of drugs in that place. Lotta the people are very snobby aswell.

Its a good place to go if your a good student. But anyone I would hang around with thats repeating is regretting that they did instead of just getting on with there life, but then again thats probably just my social circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Pat Doyle is teacher in my old skool, CUS on Leeson St.
    I had him for maths for the Leaving and I got B2 so he must have been good cos I'm brutal at maths.
    He teaches Physics in the "Institution" and I hear he's good. A few of mates had him for Physics in CUS and they liked him. He's very regimented I must say. His nickname is "Perfect Pat" and ironically he looks very much like Pat Kenny!!

--
    I did 8 subjects for the LC and did Bus. Org on my own but did get grinds in the Institute in 6th year. Billy Noonan was the teacher and I can vouch he's excellent.

Advertisement