Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some openGL questions

Options
  • 26-05-2002 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to start out learning to use openGL? I've got a fairly good base in terminal c++ from first year in college but from what I've been reading it seems like I need to figure out visual c++. Well would be much appriciated if ye could suggest a few books or web sites with good tutorials for using openGL. Also what languages will I need before I start working on openGL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Try out NeHe's tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net/. You can also look at www.opengl.org, they have a larger selection of tutorial links.

As for books the red book ( OpenGL programming guide ) is well thought of, and I also liked it myself.

Zab.

PS: I think there is an OpenGL FAQ on this very board!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Is it possible to use openGL just with a knowledge of how to make terminal progs in c++ or do I need to learn visual c++?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

There is no need to know Visual C++. You can use the win32 code like NeHe does, without really getting into exactly what it is doing, or you could use glut.

I really suggest you go to NeHe's site. He explains the win32 calls he uses pretty well, and that side of things is pretty much behind you once you get past the first tutorial. Just don't get worried about them: The win32 API is pretty ugly and can easily scare people off. As I said though, after the first tutorial, he just uses the same win32 code for the rest, so you don't have to worry about it.

Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Have a look at the links in the OpenGL FAQs, some of which have already been mentioned above. There's more than enough between all these to keep you going for ages.

If you don't want to mess around with devmodes and pixelformatdescriptors, the easiest way to get going is most probably GLUT. A few lines of code and you have window, mouse and keyboard going with minimum fuss, leaving you free to concentrate on the actual OpenGL.

Once you're confident with that and want to learn more, you can start to learn Win32 and build up your own basecode for window and input management. It's all kind of confusing at first, but the more you read (and re-read, and re-read, etc), the more it makes sense.

If you have access to one of the larger college libraries, see if you can find Andre LaMothe's Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, the first few chapters are a brilliant introduction to Win32. I can't vouch for the rest of the book as it's DirectX, so unless you want to try that (although apparently it's also a great guide to DirectX), then save your money and see if you can get it on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

We coded using OpenGL as part of a module for the final part of my degree. The API itself is pi$$ easy to implement, and no you don't need to go mucking with VC++ beforehand.

Just download GLUT, and get some code samples from opengl.org, and you are on your way. I had little previous experience with GUI programming in C/C++, so I had anticipated frustration. I was wrong twas easy, GLUT takes care of all the Win32 intricicies for you. Tis like one line of code to pop up a window and stuff like that :)

Once I got the hang of event handling (through callback functions), it was only a matter of hours before I was able to create a 3D scene and manouver around in it.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks for all the help lads, hopefully after a few weeks I'll be able to show ye what I've done

Advertisement