Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recyling Mobile Phones

• 26-05-2002 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Isn't that a very magnanimous gesture by Vodaphone to refurbish older mobile terminals and donate 'em to the starving peoples of Africa?

OR NOT! Maybe it's the paranoid conspiracy theorist in me, but I can't help wondering if this is a crafty ploy to remove the possibility of thousands of handsets being unlocked and their owners migrating to the more customer friendly "No Time Limit On Credit" environment of O2.

In one fell swoop, has Vodaphone achieved a cosy touchy/feely, hug-the-world aura for the corporation and withdrawn a few thousand units of suspect loyalty from their demographic. If this IS the case, then it's a shabby and cynical exercise.

Has Vodaphone spent a small fortune (sponsoring this entire weekend on Today FM, and setting up unwanted mobile reception facilities in every Phone shop in the country) out of pure altruism? Methinks not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not being a question or even an FYI in the mobile/wireless arena, but a quasi-political commentary, I suspect that this post may be more at home elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i have absolutly no idea where to put this :)

Feel free to move it elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I propose this thread be the "ball" in "Threadball", akin to "foot"ball and "basket"ball.

And henceforth this thread shall be kicked to Afterhours then to Humanities, humour, science, technology, it'll see a brief stint in personal issues and make its way on to the bubbles forum... where it ends up after that is anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Traffic Snatchers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

But you could always trade-in your phone with CPW and get a discount on your new handset and your phone is recycled!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

True ‘nuff, speedy. Thing is, though, Vodafone want you to give ‘em your old handset for nuthin’. Sickening aspect of the manouvre is that they are playing the charity/guilt- trip gig to achieve this. What scares them is the possibility of these units being unlocked and transferring to O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Oxfam would be happy to take your old mobile phone(s). Either directly or O2 did have an agreement with Oxfam when they with Digifone that you could drop the phone into an Oxfam 'bin' in any DigiCentre.

You can follow this link for more information:
    http://www.oxfamireland.org/upcoming_events/bringbring.html

Also a Q&A doc with more details[PDF file]:
    http://www.oxfamireland.org/pdf/Bring%20QA.pdf

HTH,
    Brian G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Hi Brian,
    Yeah, I had a look at the 2 links and the motive is admirable.
    I cannot knock it. Furthermore, I'ld encourage anyone with an unwanted handset to deliver it prompto to Oxfam.

My beef is with Voda..... them setting themselves up as a conscience-of-the-world org, and using a covert mechanism to remove working units from an open, competitive market. For free, and using the famine card!

Respect,
    Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

The meteor store in cork has a bin for old fones.

Advertisement