Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupla cheist :)

Options
  • 26-05-2002 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Conas atá sibh? Ceapaim gur smaointe maith é an board seo a eagrú. Níl Gaeilge ro mhaith agam as mar sín tá cahrabh ag teastail. Gabh mo leithscéal as trioblóid a chur oraibh.

Seo í cupla abáirtí i gcór (for) litir agus tá sé an tábhachtech go bhfuil litrú agus gramadach ceart ann:

<litir>

Tá ionadh orm ar cén chaoi a beidh na hamhráin bórd/tí agus na screacht bórd/tí eagraeadh i mbliana. Bhí caint ag an cúrsa cinnireacht faoi athrú ar iad. Ba mhaith liom fháil amach faoi an athrú chun a bheith cinnte faoi an obair a bheidh le déanamh.
    Gó raibh maith agat.

</litir>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Tá ionadh orm ar cén chaoi a beidh na hamhráin bórd/tí agus na screacht bórd/tí eagraeadh i mbliana. Bhí caint ag an cúrsa cinnireacht faoi athrú ar iad. Ba mhaith liom fháil amach faoi an athrú chun a bheith cinnte faoi an obair a bheidh le déanamh.
    Gó raibh maith agat.

Tá ionadh orm ar an chaoi a mbeidh na hamhráin bórd/tí agus na screacht bórd/ti eagartha i mbliana. Phlétear na hathrú ag an cúrsa cinnireacht. Ba mhaith liom a fháil amach faoin tathrú, ionnas go mbéinn cinnte faoin tóbair a mbéidh le déanamh.
    Go raibh maith agat.

Someone will probably end up correcting mine too as i can't write irish when i think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Go raibh mile maith agat Molly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Your piece doesn't make full sense to me Patrick. Can you print it in english? If you've made a mistake, our corrections could end up as double mistakes because of misinterpretation.
    Molly seems to have changed the verbal tense of some of the tract in her correction.:confused:

....le do thoil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Gael
    her

lol

• Advertisement

Here's what I want say in english Gael:

Gó raibh maith agat.

I'm wondering what way the table/house songs and the table/house plays are being organised this year. There was talk at the leadership course about changes on them. I would like to find out about that change to be sure what work is involved.
    Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

/me slaps killy.

I'm male :( .

I didn't think the piece was very clear, so i corrected what i thought he meant. The tense i used for Phlé was wrong but for the rest of it that i changed, i did it because i think it makes more sense that way.

Updated

Tá ionadh orm ar an chaoi a mbeidh na hamhráin bórd/tí agus na screacht bórd/ti eagartha i mbliana. Phléadh na hathrú ag an cúrsa cinnireacht. Ba mhaith liom a fháil amach faoi na hathrú, ionnas go mbéinn cinnte faoin óbair a mbéidh le déanamh.
    Go raibh maith agat.

I'm wondering as to how the table/house songs and table/house plays are going to be organised this year. Changes were discussed at the leadership course. I would like to find out about the changes made so that i can be sure of what has to be done. Thanks.

My most sincere apologises Molly, but I think you'll agree that I could be forgiven for thinking that someone with a nickname like that is a woman.

As regards the tract, it takes on a new form when you printed the english version, Patrick. For a start "ionadh" does mean "wonder", but it means wonder as in "awe" or "amazement", not "curiosity" as you intended.

Secondly there are way too many fadas there, and very little of the genitive case(tuiseal gineadach)-i.e. it should be "cúrsa cinnireachta", rather than "cúrsa cinnireacht" and there should really be an article(an or na) after "amhráin" (ie amhráin na dtithe, rather than "na hamhráin tí", is more idiomatic to irish)
    I must admit, I've never seen the word "screacht" for "drama" in irish before, but that's just me. But it looks like it should be in the plural which it's not in your tract, if that's how it's spelt.

Well it's up to you what you want to use, but here is my translation:

Táim fiosrach faoin gcaoi a mbeidh amhráin na mbord/na dtithe agus screachtaí na mbord/na dtithe eagraithe i mbliana. Bhí plé ag an gcúrsa cinnireachta faoi leasú/athrú a dhéanamh orthu. Ba mhaith liom a fháil amach faoin athrú sin le bheith cinnte faoin obair atá i gceist.
    Go raibh míle maith agat.

I'm wondering what way the table/house songs and the table/house plays are being organised this year. There was talk at the leadership course about changes on them. I would like to find out about that change to be sure what work is involved.
    Thanks very much.

What would would you use for drama so Gael?

I think I'll use "dramaíocht". Screacht is definately the wrong spelling. It's pronounced "Scurríocht". 3 sylables Scurr-í-ocht.
    Afaik it means play but something along those lines. Dramaíocht will do grand anyway. Btw Gael did u go to an all irish school or something? Know any good books that I could get to improve on my writing and speaking of irish?

Thanks to everyone for the reply :)

• Advertisement

Ah I see. I know well what you mean now. The word you're looking for is "Scoraíocht", which is probably more accurate than "drámaíocht", though it is just a form of drámaíocht, so either would do.
    Yes Patrick I went to an irish secondary school, along with regular trips on gaeltacht courses.
    If you want to improve your irish the best possible way of doing so, in the absence of a gaeltacht environment is to watch TG4 or listen to Raidió na Gaeltachta or Raidió na Life. Listening to other people talk is the key. Whatever fluency I've acquired it's 90% of having teachers talk to me in class consistantly for six years, and maybe ten percent of polishing my grammar with reading and study.
    If you want to put a shine on your grammar, I'd suggest you get "Úrchúrsa Gaeilge", which most large bookshops would have. It's a good book if you already have decent irish(which you seem to have)and want to get more exact and grammatically correct with your grammar and speech. It's good in that you don't necessarily need a teacher there helping you, as it's good for self-tuition. Another would be Gramadach Ghaeilge na mBráithre Críostaí(or The Christian Brothers' Irish Grammar) which has a straightforward explanation for everything in english.

I hope that helps, but listening to the irish media is definitely the best way to achieve really fluency.

Advertisement