Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewalls + gaming

• 26-05-2002 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

My network has a firewall running (hardware), stopping me from accessing practicaly any ports (bar the usual 23 etc.)....

I have read practicaly all the threads to do with these sort of situations in colleges, universities etc. but all of them seem to turn into flames between the college admins and the students :)

Does anyone know any programs for bypassing the firewall, or finding a tunnel through?

(for RPmudding/ counter-striking etc.)

Eron

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think there is such thing as a half life proxy. It would have to be run on a windows machine outside the firewall. Fire it into google there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

thats the usual problem with tunneling

You need a machine on the outside.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

I was using a program at a college recently named "Through the fire".... It was incredible, I must say, it let you access practicaly anything through the firewall...

One minor, or well, major problem, the site that hosts the download is closed, and reopening soon... they toke down the online files, so I cant download it...

I have been looking on google but there is an albumb named "Through the fire" and it is taking up the percentage of the pages...

Eron - Will find something, hopefuly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

try httptunnel... a registered version (something like $5 a month iirc) is one of the best and reliable ways of getting through a firewall... most people I know in college are subscribed and use it with audiogalaxy non-stop, presumably it'll do the job for games just as well.

I think I am gona keep looking for this "through the fire" one, I have had no luck so far (bar a few "how to use but not where to download" pages)....

I have used it before and know for a fact it works, and its free....

Eron - Still searching

• Advertisement

Ok, I downloaded a "Half-Life Proxy"....

Now one problem, I havent a clue how to use it...

I want to access (port) 3791, with the ip of 18.98.3.14

What would I do to gain access to that?

Eron - Growing inpatient with firewalls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

just a quick quetion if I used http tunnel in work to say down load mp3's from morpheus etc is it easy enough for admins to catch me???

Phoenix - can't really answer that but admins wouldn't/shouldn't realise a thing.. all your connections are on the http port (80), which isn't usually logged, and even if it is connections are to a remote server (which then forwards you to the morpheus(or whatever) port on the remote-client machine)... all depends on the admins policies of checking web-access logs and bandwidth-usage (its wise to limit bandwidth to ~50% of the max. available)

I can't underestimate the importance of registering http-tunnel though.. the free version limits bandwidth and you're limited to one of their servers, I don't know the availability of cracks/keys on the net but I doubt they're too easy to come across.

Originally posted by Eron
    Ok, I downloaded a "Half-Life Proxy"....
    Now one problem, I havent a clue how to use it...
    I want to access (port) 3791, with the ip of 18.98.3.14
    What would I do to gain access to that?

Eron - Growing inpatient with firewalls...
    I think there is such thing as a half life proxy. It would have to be run on a windows machine outside the firewall

That answers your question :)
    Half-Life board is a better bet if you have any further queries on that tho.

Should have been paying more attention, sorry Kali.

Sadly it has been no use, a day of searching and I have found nothing on this subject... I will check this thread every time I log on the net, hopefuly something will come up... Thanks for the information and support guys, but it looks like my firewall wins this duel :(

Eron - Still Searching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

anyone know if UDP packets are supported by http-tunnel? as that would be the requirement for cs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

nevermind found the answer around their site :)

I eventualy got the program, I know there are a few of you out there with the same problem, send me a PM if you want it and I will e-mail it to you or something...

Eron

Advertisement