Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank CD prices?

• 16-07-2001 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

whats going on with the cost of blank cds? i went into peats today to stock up on a few blanks to copy the cds i is bringing on holidays and im told that the cheap and chearful 55p ones are gone for good. something about goverment duty to stop cheap cds promoting piracy. what a bag of mickey.
    they had some left in stock so id advise anyone to get down there and buy em before the're gone for good.

<sig>Insert witty signature here</sig>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

there's probably cheaper, but i got packs of 50 from bestbuy in the US, for $30

i invented '.com'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hmmm. sounds like BS to me.

My brother bought 100 CDs for £25 today. I think it was in Argos in Galway but then again he could have been in Dublin - I could find out for you if you want.

I'm the Dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i work in argos. we dont have 100 cds for 25 quid it would b more like 50 cd for 25quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I bought those Vivastar (or whatever the brand is) ones from Argos. It is 50 CDs in a ring-stand for £25, but they wouldn't work with CDR (pretty standard 4x Philips job, maybe 2 years old, all standard).

Had to take them back. Wouldn't run in Nero, CDRWIN, FireBurner, Feurio, EZCD, etc., . No action, and ran into trouble at the same place .... maybe it was a bad batch or something (tried it with Audio and Data, and all in oldschool 8.3 non Extended and non-Joliet ****).

Pity, but Argos refunded me without any hassle (maybe 1-2 minutes to get a manager or store admin). Went to Peats across the road and got some of the so-called "Audio Only" Mr. Data 80minute one for 95p each, which work fine, but I think Peats talk through their collective ass because the guy was trying to convince me that these were for Audio *only* and wouldn't definitely not work for data, which as anyone who knows anything about different CD standards is absolute bo**ocks.

Anyone got any recommendations for online ordering from the UK or US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i would not recomend the Vivastar cdr`s all the stuff i recorded on 2 dem is not working now, they are crap.the mr data cds are some of the best quality cds around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

got 50 700 mb cd's for £15. that was a while ago in maplins .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Got in 250 700MB Presicion Blank CD-R from the Peats Website for 130 quid incl tax and post and packing.

Slaanesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just remember
    disco stu, does not advertise

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Some of the nordic countries are getting hit with government duty on cd's due to piracy problems or so im told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

maplin have 100 cdr's with cases for £40, without cases for £25. Yes, I do work there, but no, I do not get commission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I dunno,

I only have an 8x4x32 for the past year and in that time have had plenty of coasters. I blame it on the quality of CDRs that are available today. For starters, I don't get any of those 50 CDs for £xx deals, for the simple fact that the CDs or crap. The best CDs that I ever got were Verbatim (not even 1 coaster out of loads of discs). I remember reading great articles on CDR writing and how to prevent coasters and all that stuff. Actually let me get them....[few secs later]

Basic Article

Advanced Article

The basic stuff most of you will probably know already, but nevertheless a quick review is never a bad idea. Anyway by the time you read both of them, you should know your stuff.

Hopefully helpful wink.gif

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I brough 100 CDs for £36 in that new Electrical shop accross teh road from the UGC cinema

I also know that u can get Blank CDs in 100s for £30 in DAWN computers(its a lil comp shop in Goatstown) Goatstown is near UCD...

smile.gif
    Hope that helps

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

wonders if gerry is the small guy thats going bald on top in there?!?!

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

er no elexes, I'm not that old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DiscoStu:
    whats going on with the cost of blank cds? </font>

There was a piece about this on one of the tech news sites recently - prices are going up because there were tons of blank cds produced last year that weren't sold - there wasn't much of a demand then because only a few people had CD RW's . Because of this, manufacturers produced less CDs this year. Since then though, more and more people have bought CD RW's and are snapping up all the blank CDs currently available. It's a good example of the ol' supply and demand' mantra.....

Expect price increases everywhere shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

lol bald.. Gerrys the fat guy behind the counter with the unix tshirt who sweats a lot and nobody talks to smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

just remember,
    disco stu.....likes disco music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I am sure Maplin Electronics still have those cheapy ones, its beside Smyths Toy Store on Jervis Street!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Naw he must be the tall guy with the longish black hair and a funny accent....

Gav

Advertisement