Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie's World

Options
  • 26-05-2002 11:07pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here read this book ?

If so, I would like to hear your comments.

It has me worried.

I'm not finished it yet, so please be careful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah i read it about 6 or 7 years ago.
    very good as pop-philosiphy goes.
    enjoyable

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    yeah i read it about 6 or 7 years ago.
    very good as pop-philosiphy goes.
    enjoyable

What is pop-philosophy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Eh, I wouldnt call it 'pop-philosophy' - Gaardner tries to get the kernels of some really important philosophical ideas and movements across in an accessible and enjoyable way.

I read it and, to be honest, I thought the story was pretty lame but it kept me reading! I enjoyed being exposed to these amazing new ideas more than anything the story offered. It's partly responsible for my choice to study philosophy in college. Great fun altogether is that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i started to read it but it got too heavy so i quit!!!
    i did not like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by potlatch
    Eh, I wouldnt call it 'pop-philosophy' - Gaardner tries to get the kernels of some really important philosophical ideas and movements across in an accessible and enjoyable way.

it is pop-philosophy because what it does is it gives you small doses of philosophy from several different ages and viewpoints.
    it gives you the ideas in easy to swallow nuggets.
    this is what pop culture is.
    palletable ideas.

look at a brief history of time.
    pop-physics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I read about half of it and then got side-tracked (exams and stuff). I thought it was ok, yeah the story was pretty lame, but it has good intro to basic philosophical stuff. I want to finish it, but I'd have to start over again, and........

:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I read it about 8 years ago and totally loved it.
    as a matter of interest, why does it have you worried? I found it dead interesting to see how humans view the world from a mental and physical aspect through the ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I loved it.
    I read Through a Glass Darkly as well and that is superb too. Really great distillation of ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i read it when i was in 4th yr and doin a module on philosophy

i thought it was pretty good, quite interesting but to be honest when i was finished i dropped it and didnt give it much thought

philosphy is pretty much total ****e

why are we here ? pfft...know and care i do not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Ha! I can give you a dozen reasons why philosophy isn't "****e". For every reason it is, there's another reason it isn't. Don't knock it till you try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I read it a few years ago and I remember the evening I finished it, I went downstairs and was really really edgy. I felt I was being watched. My head was seriously dodgy!! Didnt last long, but it did have an impact, like a really good film: you come away feeling a little different.

I liked it. And while I'm not philosophy's biggest fan, I don't think I'm in a position to rubbish it. Nor are most people so, y'know, don't.

Advertisement