Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce4 Ti4200

• 27-05-2002 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

i dont know which one to get. either the 64MB version or the 128MB one. from some of the bench marks i have seen the 64MB one seems faster. please can i get someone opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

I would go with the 128 meg one if the price diff is not too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...assuming you're not going to be playing at any more than 1280x1024x32bpp, you're not going to need any memory above ~45MB for anything but textures. So, in theory, 64MB should be plenty; however, if there's more memory to play with, I suppose the GPU doesn't have to bother with as much in the line of texture compression (á la S3TC and the likes) so it might improve performance a bit.

For what it's worth, the July edition of PC Pro magazine does a good round-up of current graphics cards, including a whole sheaf of Geforce Ti 4x00-based ones. No Matrox Parhelia 512's yet, but we live in hope... :D

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

According to tests run by the Firing Squad, the 128Meg one is faster in benchmarks (which is odd, considering it has slower memory).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah i noticed that in a review i read and thought it was a mistake. Sounds a bit strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Maybe more stuff than we think is hitting the 64mb barrier. You need 2 or 3 framebuffers in that 64mb as well as texture ram.

• Advertisement
Advertisement