Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

you guys good at quoting insurance pricing ? !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

I'd say you'll have hastle getting a quote to be honest, Ive wanted one of them for a while now and I cant get quoted, Im 22 with full lic and 1 yr no claims, They also wont quote my g/friend in it which is strange coz they will quote her in other cars with the same cc, like celica's ,mr2's and vtec honda's

The FTO's seem to be weighted very high even though the 1.8 is not very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's gonna be a sh1tload.

I have nothing better to do so I tried an online quote from Quinn Direct, which 'couldn't be processed'. Just for comparison, I got a quote for you on a VW POLO 2000

I Assumed -
    You were a student, You lived in Dublin 16, had a Full licence for 1 year, the car had ABS, and was worth €7,000.

The quote came to €4,200 TPF&T and €5,700 Full Comp.

Madness. Forget about that FTO for another 4 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by seamus
    The quote came to €4,200 TPF&T and €5,700 Full Comp.

thx seamus for that :), but oh my holy good god :eek: :eek:

Time to get in contact with my TD !!!

no way, i dont believe that, $hit, my dad insurance for Fcomprehensive is 700 on a 01 fiesta ? man ... ah man, thats got me depressed !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'd say E4200 is fairly cheap given the car / your age. I'd expect to pay more.

As you may be aware the insurance industry categorises cars into groups, and gives each group a rating. The higher the group number, the higher the insurance.

To give an example of how this weighting works. I'm 31, full licence, 4 years no claim. I drive a Saab 900 Convertible (95D)with 2ltr Turbo engine :cool:, my insurance is £1800, a similar hardtop Saab 9-3, ie not defined as a 'Sports Car' would cost me £600 each year.

Yes the risking of me crashing either is the same, they just figure certain cars attrack types of drivers.

I'd have to say that my inclination would be to forget about it for a few years, build up a biot of no claims and age, then go for it, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Borzoi
    I'd say E4200 is fairly cheap given the car / your age. I'd expect to pay more.

Just for clarification - that's TPF&T on a 1.4 (not 1.8) Golf. €4,200 is exploitation, pure & simple. If they even quoted him on an FTO, I'd think it'd be around €7,000 TPF&T. Sound fair? No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 simpsons rule

anyone ever hear of mijag ? do they have a web site ?
    maybe a community forum would be handy ?

Originally posted by Borzoi
    As you may be aware the insurance industry categorises cars into groups, and gives each group a rating. The higher the group number, the higher the insurance.

I'd love to see that list.. pick off the nicest looking car in the cheapest group :p !!

I have a feeling I'm gona get quoted something like 6K... FFS....
    I taught there was a law introduced a while ago to cut down on age discrimination? If they do quote me anything above 5K, can I goto my lawyer ? Is there any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

If you pick up the likes of Autoblah or Whatcar they usually heve a list of all production cars with the insurance gruop listed. It's applies to England, where the insurance companies are a bit more open, whereas here it's a closely gaurded secret.

Bugger you can do about a high quote except shop around, and I don't see you being in a position to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

He would be lucky to get a quote at all on an FTO

I rang up Quinn Direct got a quote for 2400 yoyos on a named and then rang up the next day,talkin to a diff person and she quoted me 1900? where is the logic?

Originally posted by Odian
    I rang up Quinn Direct got a quote for 2400 yoyos on a named and then rang up the next day,talkin to a diff person and she quoted me 1900? where is the logic?

so it really depends on the person your talking to and the mood their in? Just talking to another person could save you €500 ?? bloody hell, betya I'll get a right prick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm working in QD for the summer (don't hate me please!!!) anyway i dont work in telesales but i know ppl who do and seemingly when you ring up theres a list of 80 questions. The questions basically ask you your life story. I worked out how to do quotes on the system the other day tho and from what i can see theres only a few questions that matter. One of the big things tho is the classing of the car....if a car is classed as High Performance your basically screwed, if your under 21 your screwed and if your male your screwed!....my advice is buy a van, move country or b clean and walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I were getting a car (which I'm definitely not) it would probably be a diesel VW Golf van.

21 soon, Full licence for 1 year, presently uninsured.

Reasons:

- Commercial rating so much lower insurance
    - (Correct me if I'm wrong but) The diesel engin sizes are pretty much lumped together for commercials so a 1.9 wouldn't break the bank.

Advertisement