Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMV files

• 27-05-2002 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Is media player the only player that runs these? I have some files in this format but that always lag and slowdown in Media player

Bomb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Right click on the video in media player, pop into options and slide down the hardware acceleration slider. It can often help mightily.. play around with it ;) Oo-Er!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...stands for Windows Media Video, in the same way as WMA stands for Windows Media Audio. It's pretty much a Media-player-only job (WMV is the same as ASF in everything but name).

However:

VirtualDub 1.3c and earlier (MS posted a "cease and desist" to the author just after this version was released - current version is 1.4.10 but doesn't support ASFs), or Graphedit (do a google - it's an MS thingy, believe it or not), or(I think) any version of ASFTools, can be used to extract an ASF/WMV to AVI, which can then be encoded as an MPEG.

The only real problem with these files is that some of them tend to have variable frame rates; something that neither AVI or MPEG formats tend to like, with the result that A/V sync becomes a problem, so results aren't guaranteed with anything suggested above.

Happy hunting...
    Gadget
    P.S.> I find that some files play more smoothly in Media Player 6.4 than they do in version 7.x (try Start -> Run -> "mplayer2" -> OK to start it)

Advertisement