Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OEM Win 2K

• 27-05-2002 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Quick Q folks - What is the best way to uninstall W2K ?????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Formatting your drive is a good way - after you have backed up all your apps etc.

You don't say if you are dual booting - this is important because it does not need to involve formatting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Like BioHazRd suggests, it depends on what you want to do in future. You don't really "uninstall" operating systems, you either delete them (format the drive), install over them, or install something else on the drive.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

ditto, you can not uninstall Win2k, only upgrade or reinstall.

Why would you ever want to uninstall Windows 2000 ??? Seriously, I think its better than any OS out there, including XP

* me gets backhander from microsoft just like mary o rurke did with Eircom *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 joezak

OK guys - what I really want to be is uninstall/remove a W2K installation in order to run RIS as part of MS exam 70-216. It is not a dual boot system just a fresh install. I have a home lab set up with 3 pcs shared over a kvm switch and a fast eternet switch

i remember doing that, never had to do it in the real world though !!

You could use a boot disk, fdisk/format you drive and you'll be ok. If you don't have a boot disk, you could put the hd into the other win2k machine as a secondary and format it through computer management. I think you'l need a boot disk for RIS, unless you can boot from the Lan, i remeber i had to use a network bootable floppy for Ris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well you could boot from a floopy, delete the hidden root files from c:\ like boot.ini, ntloader etc... then do an 'fdisk /mbr'.
    then 'sys c:' and install your OS as normal.
    Anyone tried this?

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Anyone tried this?

nope :D funny, i've never heard of doing it that way, but if it works, what the hell :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If you want to completely format the drive i recommend using nortans GDISK (download available on the web somewhere) similar to fdisk and format joined together but completely wipes the drive(similar to low level formatting).

I`m not sure if you just wanna format the drive or keep the files on the drive and get rid of win2k. Post back and i`m sure i can help.

Seeing as i don`t know what RIS is sorta leaves my help with a big hole in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by ando
    nope :D funny, i've never heard of doing it that way, but if it works, what the hell :p
    It should work anyway, I'm not guarenteeing anything here ;)
    So backup your data before you get into something you can't get out of if things get messy.

"I`m not sure if you just wanna format the drive or keep the files on the drive and get rid of win2k. " - ando
    I want to wipe everything - no need for a backup!

• Advertisement

right, well there's 2 ways I can think off straight off....

1)Get yourself a copy of a win95/98 boot disk with Fdisk and format.com on it. Boot from it, fdisk..... Delete all partitions, Create 1 single Dos partition.. format c:\

Restart and boot off the Lan (Computers with Built in NIC's usually have a 'Boot On Lan' option in the Bios Setup. You can setup the boot on lan option as the first bootable option. Connect it to the network with the Ris server on, and weyhay :D !

2)If you can't get yourself a boot disk, boot from a Win2k CD. Configure it so as to install win2k. It will give you the option of formating the hard-drive and formatting it in Fat or NTFS... (Simpler than the boot disk). As soon as the format is finished, unplug your machine. (I know its not the right way, but I've done it so many times with client machines and not got one problem yet :p )

Oh yeah BTW, some ppl dont know what RIS is:

RIS = Remote Installation Server
    (remotely installs windows 2000 over a network)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Won`t trust fdisk or format that much I prefare to use GDISK for mission critical jobs. But for simplicity I`d run with the steps as outlined by andy possibly adding the fdisk /mbr command as well.

GDISK DOWNLOAD:
    http://home.no.net/postdead/downloads.html
    and select the start.rar

More info on GDISK:
    http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1998081911285525

Thanks for the pm joezak
    Hope this GDISK helps you in any future installs/formats.

Cheers everybody - that will give me more than to do the job - thanx again
    :D:D

Advertisement