Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ozzlessfest 2002

Options
  • 27-05-2002 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

sure enough there was bitter disappointment when i heard ozzy wasn't playing but it was still one of the best gigs i've been to...

i thought drowning pool and ill nino were pretty good...although i didn't know more than the ssingles...

therapy were amazing...

slayer were ****ing amazing...

system of a down were abso****inglutely amazing...

tool - didn't know much of their stuff but i was impressed...

SOAD defo stole the show though...they got the best reception...they got everyone goin'...and even played us a dire straights cover...

i can't move my neck...nooooo...

anyway...what did yis think??

perhaps i'll get a free ticket to meatloaf for the novelty of hearing bat out of hell...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

MAJOR Dissapointment. Not to say the bands werent good but Ozzfest showed once again how MCD couldnt arrange a pissup in a brewery. Useless Useless Useless!!! Who thought it would be a good idea to have a metal gig on a concrete / gravel arena??? Whats more this was with Kids running around at it!!! (warp them mentally with Tools video display whilst putting them in physical danger. great going MCD).

Talking about safety Im still confused by the mosh pit system in concerts. Id forgotten they had it for outdoor venues too. The tiny amount of people left up the front looked too embarrased to bother making much of an effort to enjoy themselves whilst the rest of us were left lurking around a barrier 20 meters away from the stage. Whats that meant to achieve? How is getting crushed against the middle barrier any different than the front one? This arrangment has never been used in concerts I have been to abroad so it leaves me to wonder if it was simply a kneejerk reaction which is probably totally ineffectual in increasing safety implemented in wake of the smashing pumpkins incident in 95 (I think it was 95).

Making this concert over 18s only on a grass arena with no barrier would have been much more sensible I think.

More gripes include the only drink available was Heineken at 4.50 a pint. There was no suncream stalls (they should provide free suncream like The Glastonbury festival in England) and sound in the second stage was crap!! Someone needs to explain sound tends to reflect off walls to whoever made the choice of putting it in the large hall they had it in.

The lack of Ozzy couldnt be helped ....or perhaps it could! in one episode of the osbournes he gives out to sharon for booking him into doing two shows in a row saying hes not able for it anymore. Without Ozzy and the failure of Tool to recraft their set (playing their contracted length and no encore) left the night with a very abrupt ending. Being stuck on a bus for 30 minutes before even getting out of the compound didnt help matters.

Im reminded everytime I go to a multigroup show like this how much better it is done in England with Festivals like Reading and Glastonbury. I havent been to Ozzfest before so cant comment if its as bad in England but I hear at least they had it so that bands on stage 1 dont clash with bands on stage 2. Something that MCD couldnt manage.

As I said the Bands were great but as I had seen them all before the lack of decent arrangments became a huge distraction to me. Perhaps Im getting too old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

perhaps you are!!

i agree with most of what ya said there...

but instead of complaining why not say "fcuk mcd i paid for this day i'm gonna enjoy it"

i did!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

ah i enjoyed myself despite the horrible sun then the evil cold rain.
    i had planned on missing ozzy just because i couldnt be bothered.
    agree with u about the drink.i never drink beer and its all they feckin had!

toolfest should be repeated....

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I was really looking forward to seeing Ozzie before he curled up and died in a chemical explosion, to be distributed as the next hard drug on the streets and €50 per gram of Oz, man. I really think thye could have told us at the bus in Parnell Square rather than when we had travelled to Punchestown... how hard would it have been to have 1 staff member at the bus?

Therapy and Slayer were, IMO, the best acts.. I always pity a band that has to be on the same stage as Slayer as they quite effortlessly p**s all over other bands :)

SOAD were pretty cool... caught a bit of Kiddie (sp?) on stage 2,. not bad..not bad at all. And it was cool that Drowning Pool player the Triple H song... heh heh... actually I was seriously imprssed by that band.

An enjoyable day, my only gripe being the lack of efficiently disseminated information regarding Ozzie's lack of attendance.. I dunno... back in the day not matter *how* ill/ stoned/ drunk/ bat infested he was, he would have performed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I was well impressed by SOAD, i though they were excellent.

I also thought it was s**t the way the bands on the second stage played at the same time as the ones on the first.
    I really wanted to see Kittie but when Tool came on i couldn't pull myself away so i missed a band i really wanted to see, but seeing Maynard covered in blue paint cheered me up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

Alright everyone,
    I was on the MCD web-site and they were offering free tickets to most of the Marley Park gigs(I wouldn't be bothered seeing most of the bands myself,but thats besides the point)for anyone who attended Ozzfest.Sure you may as well get the tickets and give them away.You can check out full detais at www.mcd.ie.

Advertisement