Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking problom

• 18-07-2001 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

yesterday .. waight earlier today i was able to connect to my network at home now both computers cant see eachother . but my mp3's in my winamp list can be accessed . and the other pc can get connected to the net without probloms . the only program i have installed is black ice now cant see any files or folders .

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Black ice? That's a firewall yeah? That stops certain packets from getting to your computer?

In short, you've answered your own question.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    "Boxes for show, Baskets for a pro" - [FCA]SyxPak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye but it noticed that the other computer wanted to use the net connection and i allowed it . also turned it off and it dident notice anything . also the computer with the firewall cant c the other computer

Eh, have you tried uninstalling Black Ice?

I presume your using TCP/IP as your networking protocol. Black ice is more than likely blocking the communication between your two pc's on whatever port windows (I presume again cos you've given no info on your network at all) uses on tcp/ip.

Ye see black ice (I presume, never used it) shouldn't give a monkeys about how the pc's are connecting to the firewalled pc, be it lan or modem. So in the same way Black ice is blocking those nasty dirty hackers from connecting to your pc, it's blocking access to your other pc, I presume.

And now a poem:

I like cake
    I like cake
    I like cake

Thank you, thank you. No please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    Black ice? That's a firewall yeah? That stops certain packets from getting to your computer?

In short, you've answered your own question.

</font>

BlackICE is not a firewall (not at all useful).

However that is probably causing the problem. Get ZoneAlarm instead. It's better and you can configure for different settings for local network and internet (Well on ZoneAlarm Pro you can, don't know about the free version)

hmmm just had a look at some settings on Black Ice.

Two things:
    1. In Advanced Firewall settings add in the other computers ip address (to accept packets of course)

2. In Edit Settings, try turning on "Allow Netbios Neighbourhood" under Protection

• Advertisement

will try thx lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I suppose reading the help or readme is out of the question yeah?

ooo im not going to stoup that low ( prolly would solve the prob quicker but no )

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I suppose posting it in the right forum too would be a mad idea !!

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yep,
    stick it in the 'ive installed a program i dont know how to use and now my pc wont work, what do i do now, apart from uninstall' forum.
    smile.gif

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Advertisement
Advertisement