Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building Arcade cabinet

• 27-05-2002 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Me and my friend are building our own arcade cabinet with an old pc and MAME on it should be good and i was wondering if anyone else was building one too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ive all my grand designs down that im planning on doing when building my own. Im just waiting on money to buy the materials as I plan on making the cabinet myself etc etc.

Some good guides here http://www.arcadecontrols.speedhost.com/arcade.htm

Post some pics up if ya can of the finished beauty :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Best of luck to the both of you it's goin to take a lot of work. Have you sourced out a cabinet, control panel etc? your going to need a fairly good spec machine in order to play more recent games;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Its been done, hanaHo and places like that build machines especially for the emu market. It must be worth something so :)

The reason i was hunting for an arcade cabinet was to actually play the real games. I don't mind playing emulated street fighter and whatnot but i prefer to have the original arcade hookups and board, they cost f**k all if you look around and theres quite a few of the full machines sitting in warehouses, just ring service numbers you see on one armed bandits and that kinda thing.

The originals dont have PC issues, you can just them on and not have to worry about bugs and windows and no emulation is perfect anyway.
    Either way, i'm gonna pick up a decent sized cabinet some stage soon, get a 2 slot neo geo stack and jamma harness for it and some cheap MVS games and that'll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Arcade@home ahve loads of tips and help for doing this.
    Always wanted one in my garage with a Dsl connection for online play and a real 6 button SF2 controller.
    ho hum well maybe one day.
    Kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I'd be happy just getting a USB one of those arcade controllers.

I don't think it'd be the same running mame in one of those cabs. You'd still have to use a keyboard and mouse to config it and everything, just wouldnt be right!

Now, actually owning a Neo-Geo cab, and Last Blade and Metal Slug boards...that's something to drool over. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lads, does anyone know where in our fair isle, I might be able to find an arcade cabinet. Secondhand of course. With game. I've always wanted one and did look around there a few years ago, but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

About a year ago i had the chance to buy an original street fighter 2 working cabinet for 300 quid but i never got around to it

D'ohhhhhhhhhhhh

If you are interested , do what i did . go into the Golden pages and look for arcade/entertainmet type providers and they should be able to put you through to a workshop that store the older units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yup Golden PAges will get what you want
    there a few but sniff around for an arcade closing down.
    Might find one cheap in there.
    maybe someone here knows of one shuting down.
    kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Has anyone got one of those arcade joysticks/6 buttons that you plug in to your pc ? I'd be very interested in getting on of these. If anyone has purchased one, where did you buy it and did you have any problems with delivery time, reliability etc. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

check buy and sell as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

hi all
    I need to clean out my garage to make some room for new bits - hence I have 3 arcade cabinets which I need to get rid of...
    Ideal for a mame project - need to shift em soon or else they're fire wood and parts.

drop me a line if interested - take all 3 for 80 euro!
    (I'm in Newbridge)
    Thanks
    Aidan.

robotron@oceanfree.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Try posting the offer on the "for sale" boards ya might get a better response. Id take them off ya but atm money is tight :/

Ronan my man!
    You can have one (or all) for free as they are going under the hammer (literally) by the weekend. Already organised a trailer tonight to take their remains to the local dump___ hate to see it happening: the ****ers cost me much ££, but space is a at a premium at the mo...
    I'll even throw in a SFII board etc. for free (well, 2 cans of Carlsberg anyway)
    Seriously - give me a shout if you're interested, but quick ;-))
    087 2575865 & leave a message if no answer...
    cheers
    Aidan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ronan, go for that man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Yeah man, jaysus that's an offer even the worst of us couldn't refuse. Think about it, it would be like living the dream.....

Dear Santa,
    I would like the arcade version of shinobi and a surpise please...

I know I asked for it when I was younger, but you'd be lucky to get an Atari 2600 from that tight ba$tard. It got a C64 instead though :p

;-phobos-)

Anyone? - these babies need a good home...
    I'd even consider delivering the little sods!
    (can only get one in my car at a time though)
    See pic attached of one of em.
    cheers.
    Aidan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*mutters*
    nm

Advertisement