Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!!!!! (Windows 2000 Pro error...)

• 18-07-2001 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Windows 2000 Professional, logged in as Administrator... the following is appearing constantly:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart this program.

An error log has been created.

{{OK}} (button)
    </font>

This is happening once every 2 minutes with a dialog box popping up each time. Therefore I can't play any games as I'll just get lumped back to Windows for the dialog box. Neither can I print or use any applications which uses printer drivers inherently (such as Adobe Distiller).

Event Viewer reports that the Service Control Manager says the following:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    </font>

HELPPPPP!!!!!!

-[Edit]-

By the way, I'm in the midst of downloading Service Pack 1 (I haven't got this installed yet). I tried installing the "smart" version of it for Win2KPro but it crashed out a couple of times (once reporting that it couldn't continue because I'd stopped the print spooler... ???) - I'm now downloading the full 83Mb Network Installation and am going to try that. - at 15% at the moment and crawling along... *sigh*

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 18-07-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Okay, I managed to stop the mesage from re-appearing every two minutes by disabling the recovery option in the properties of the service, but that doesn't stop the failure happening in the first place - the spoolsv.exe program still crashes on every boot-up and my printers have disappeared from the Printers folder.

Anyone any ideas?

Bard

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 18-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not disable the service temporily, disconnect whatever printers, uninstall the software, then start over, i have the full win2k network install service pack (2), will give it to you tomorrow night if ya want.

Service packs don't need to go 123, straight to 2 will do.

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 18-07-2001).]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It's a bit more urgent than that, Longfield- I need to print stuff out BEFORE tomorrow night, and I need to have the Adobe Distiller printer driver working properly so I can convert from .DOC to .PDF properly... I appreciate the offer though... thanks a mill...

Anyway- I'm 51% into the download, so for the sake of an extra £3 or £4 on my phone bill, I'll keep it going. I've got a download manager doing the job anyway so if I get disconnected I don't lose everything.

Can anyone tell me if SP1 will definitely stop my spoolsv.exe from crashing, btw?

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Why not get SP2?

I assume you have tried setting the Print Spooler service to "automatic"??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:
    Why not get SP2?

</font>

I would have assumed it's best to put them on in order. SP1 and then SP2. I can get SP2 at a later date. If SP1 fixes my current problem, then that'll do for the moment.

It's currently at 72% so I'm not stopping it now ! smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds:

I assume you have tried setting the Print Spooler service to "automatic"??
    </font>

Yes. Startup on it is "Automatic" by default, but that makes no difference - that just means that the exe will be run on startup automatically. The program still crashes every time though, and Windows closes it. I can restart it again manually, - it just crashes again itself as soon as it tries to do anything (opening the printers folder for example).

I'm not sure what I could have installed recently that might have done this... if anything. My printers (1 local printer and the Adobe Distiller printer driver from Acrobat 4.0) have disappeared from the printers folder.

*sigh* - hopefully SP1 will sort it out- I'll say so here if so.

Bard

• Advertisement

To be honest Bard , i doubt if the service pack is going to magically fix this, are you still using the msdn copy btw?, i seem to recall that my msdn one used to give me a lot of messages in the eventviewer about just this kind of thing, haven't experienced the same with an OEM version.
    Have you checked the event viewer for messages leading up to this?

My earlier advise still stands, i reckon you are gonna have to remove and reinstall all you're printer stuff.
    I doubt if this is gonna work but its worth trying, why not make a new user and add it to the admin group, there is a lot of stuff that can get fupped up in user accounts, sometimes its easier just to make a new one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Put some more paper in the printer.

Seriously though.
    1. Upgrade to SP2.
    2. Tell us more information, eg. Printer used, what did you touch install, etc before doing this?
    3. Have you checked your machine for viruses?

Found it.

SOMEBODY decided to install Cheyenne BitWare on my machine after hearing me mention that I needed to put on answering machine & fax software... needless to say, it didn't work properly- they tried to uninstall... the uninstall didn't work, so they just deleted it thinking no harm done.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/8/59.ASP

No harm done my arse.

*sigh*

I suppose it was worth my while downloading SP1 rolleyes.gif - if I'd known about BitWare having been installed sooner though, I wouldn't have bothered and would have taken up Longfield's kind offer.

I wonder how big SP2 is...

Bard

BTW, needless to say, I've deleted the logon of that person who decided that installing BitWare was a good idea wink.gif

Bard

Its huge , 101mb (network version) biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Guess what...

SP2 is 101mb eek.gif

I'm glad I downloaded that back before esat booted me smile.gif

- Munch

Yeah- found that out... 101Mb... sheesh!

Ah well... it can wait for a while then! - I suppose I could always do the standard 10Mb install over the web, but I'd like to be able to yoink the Service Pack's onto CD just in case I need to do a rebuild. I see M$ let you ORDER the service packs on CD... the feckers get money out of you every way, don't they?

*sigh* ... anyway- case closed (phew!)

Bard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Bard, SP2 has all the fixes that SP1 has. I went directly from no service packs to SP2.

Advertisement