Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SETI@Home

• 13-06-2001 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭

Not sure who started this group but if theres any freelance SETI users on this board why not join the group and if your in a different group leave and help get boards.ie noticed biggrin.gif
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_113584.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yes do join up, it's strangley addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Ahh it was you TinCool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

your avatars are scary smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

updated the announcement for the Technology board with that url there...
    go boards.ie wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Perhaps someone should consider setting up a Boards.ie group for:

http://www.ud.com/home.htm

Its a cancer research project, similar in style to Seti@Home.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

ok, I've gone and joined. Where's everyone else????? biggrin.gif

Q

People will come, oh yes! People will come...

Maybe we can get some serious stomping going Sickboy.

I was in OCUK's team for lack of a serious Irish team, but the fun they have trying to catch other teams etc is great.

Q

Shinji, how are you managing to complete units in half the time as me ?

4) Shinji 46 1516 hr 23 min 32 hr 57 min 54.7 sec
    5) TinCool 20 1318 hr 50 min 65 hr 56 min 33.0 sec

I'm running it on 3 pcs. One's a p3-650, one's a celeron700 and the other is a crappy p2 something or other. My average time on a unit on the p3-650 along is always 40-50 hours. I'll have to go out and buy a 1.4ghz athlon to get my unit time down smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

do you guys leave it running all the time??

I just leave it on the office machine overnight while I am at home. PIII 733 coppermite.

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    games?

If your serious about getting more WU's done in less time then dump the GUI screen saver approach and download the command line client here which can process a WU far quicker. Also get SETI Driver here. SETI Driver can cache work units and makes it very easy to use the command line client. All you need really is a folder called SETI and both the command line client and SETI Driver in that folder. Create a shortcut to SETI Driver in the startup folder and Bobs your uncle.

SB...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Jesus, I dont know what the hell's the story here but my first WU is 37% done and its taken 16 hours!

Bit bizarre on an Athlon 1ghz, 256 megs of RAM and Win2k Pro...

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

I know BugBlaster uses an AMD system(not sure but I think its a 700MHz Athlon) and he is completing WU's in just less than 15hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

SETI: I joined up, still have not finished my first batch (50% there). Great idea, I used to do it a year or two ago and put in alot of time on my old PB166.

Magwitch, can you not remember your old login? How many work units had you done on the old account?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:
    Shinji, how are you managing to complete units in half the time as me ?

4) Shinji 46 1516 hr 23 min 32 hr 57 min 54.7 sec
    5) TinCool 20 1318 hr 50 min 65 hr 56 min 33.0 sec

I'm running it on 3 pcs. One's a p3-650, one's a celeron700 and the other is a crappy p2 something or other. My average time on a unit on the p3-650 along is always 40-50 hours. I'll have to go out and buy a 1.4ghz athlon to get my unit time down smile.gif
    </font>

Tincool

There must be something really fuxx0r3d with your PC. Even with the GUI screensaver client it should still take no more than 16 hrs for a p3650 to complete a WU. My average time is 10:30 or something with seti driver and thats on a p3-600!!!!!!!!!!!

Same for Robbo, should be far better than this.

Q

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

My machine is performing well in every other aspect, so it really is beating the hell out of me.

Maybe if I reinstall the bugger.

Rob.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Quorthon:
    Tincool

There must be something really fuxx0r3d with your PC. Even with the GUI screensaver client it should still take no more than 16 hrs for a p3650 to complete a WU. My average time is 10:30 or something with seti driver and thats on a p3-600!!!!!!!!!!!

Same for Robbo, should be far better than this.

Q

</font>

Ill give the comman line a shot for the next week and report back. hopefully it'll reduce my WU time.

How did it go TC?

• Advertisement

Great, P3 is doing them in under half the time it used to do them at. Must get the command line version going in work

Sickboy, I was just about to finish my first batch on this computer and new account when I signed up to the boards team. First batch is now finished.

ps. Magwitch = Irish Alien

We could still do with some new members to boost the totals (and also give me some competition biggrin.gif)
    Comon, close to 4000 registered users here and only 16 Boards.ie SETI members...
    Update: we now have 18 members...

[This message has been edited by SickBoy (edited 19-07-2001).]

Any more takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Is there any cunning way of comparing how Boards.ie is doing in the overall team rankings? I know we don't have a huge number of members (get signing up you slackers!) but it'd be cool to see how we're ranked nonetheless...

All that info is available to the group founder. Comon TinCool get the finger out! Post some stats & stuff...

Any new members care to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i shall add my 1GHZ of power to the "movement" soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Your credit: Name (and URL) Bill
    Results Received 327
    Total CPU Time 6862 hr 19 min
    Average CPU Time per work unit 20 hr 59 min 08.5 sec
    Last result returned:Tue Feb 19 18:22:46 2002
    UTC Registered on:Tue May 25 16:33:06 1999
    UTC View Registration Class
    SETI@home user for: 2.743 years

Strangely by the looks of it someone has either left one of these machines on or by some fluke/accident at least one is still running the client
    Last result returned:Tue Feb 19 18:22:46 2002

/Baffled as I left Gateway in Feb 2001 !\

Advertisement