Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SETI@Home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I suppose I could add my
    athy 1.4
    p 120
    33 mhz 486
    and 40 mhz 386 to the mix running *nix clients in some shape or form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by Typedef
    Your credit: Name (and URL) Bill
    Results Received 327
    Total CPU Time 6862 hr 19 min
    Average CPU Time per work unit 20 hr 59 min 08.5 sec
    Last result returned:Tue Feb 19 18:22:46 2002
    UTC Registered on:Tue May 25 16:33:06 1999
    UTC View Registration Class
    SETI@home user for: 2.743 years

Strangely by the looks of it someone has either left one of these machines on or by some fluke/accident at least one is still running the client

/Baffled as I left Gateway in Feb 2001 !\

Very nice:)
    With the 1.4ghz Athlon that avarage time should drop real fast but the 386 should balance that with its 300hours/WU :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Since United Devices appear to be researching anthrax cures instead of cancer now, I think I will come back to seti :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Gerry, you can just edit your default profile and select only the cancer research project... which is what I have done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i am currently signing up to add my P4 1.3Ghz 128MB RD RAM to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

licksy, have a look here: http://www.theinquirer.net/15020202.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Thanks for that Gerry.... btw, got an UD newsletter this morning which says that the anthrax one is now over.. so you could at least keep the cancer one going till it ends...

i am running a P4 1.3 Ghz with 128 RD Ram and my first Data is on 93.7% after 18hrs 36 mins 20 sec. should they take this long, or have i not got it set up rite???

EDIT: running Win2K Pro and 56K modem (if this makes any difference)

Lucifer.POD, read the first page of this thread, there's some good tips on improving the performance of the client on that. A P4 1.3 should do a work unit in under 5hours.

one other thing, do i have to uninstall the current seti prog before installing the command 1?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

For some reason, my account won't make, :(
    tried loads of times

ye, mine kept trying to connect to the server aswell, but wouldnt, keep trying and u will get it.

EDIT i think i have the driver set up proberly, should i change any of the settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I've added myself to the group now. I'm knocking them out :D on average once every 5 hours so it should be a help. My first 2 took ages for some reason but I installed the command line and now its flying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i've join now aswell and my first WU only took 9 hr 52 min 27.7 seconds. Im running the GUI client on a PIII 933 in work :) and on my athlon 750 at home. mite stick it on more pcs in work aswell, we got a few new 1.2 GHZ one around somewhere. :)

i also mite comendeer Stpehens pIII 866 and run it on that durin the day. :)

flamey

can any1 give me any tips on what settings to use in the SETI driver?

I have SETI Driver set to cache what I've calculated to be 7 days worth of work units on each machine. If your doing a WU in 6 hours then 24/6=4x7=28.
    I think I'll patent that formula :D
    The other settings are more for systems with 2 or more CPU's...

does anybody else have problems connecting to the server other than oj? coz mine takes forever, i keep trying, and eventually it works?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Right, I finally got signed up :D

Now all I gota do is wait for them to mail me my password...

Do you hvae problems always logging in, or trying to sign up?

I had massave problems trying to sign up..
    But I'm signed up now, its doing whatever shíte its doing...

Maybe it could be problems with our routers on NTL Lucifer?

you need the password 2 join the boards team, but u can start processing information straight away

Been waitng for my password all day :(

They're under some real heavy load :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

just completed a work unit in 9hours 7 mins on my 1Ghz athlon with 512mb 133mhz ram. That good or bad. I was using the computer for most of the time. If i turn off X (im using linux) it runs at 12.5%/hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

hey sickboy - what specks are you running it on? you get a pretty good time

I have 5 PCs running SETI :D
    Here's the specs;
    P4 1.7Ghz Xeon, 512Mgs 800Mhz RDRAM(soon to be a duel system) Sub 5 hour WUs
    P4 1.5Ghz, 512Mgs 800Mhz RDRAM Sub 5 hour WUs
    P3 700Mhz 512Mgs PC100 SDRAM(Laptop) 11 hour WUs
    Duel P3 1Ghz, 1Gb 800Mhz RDRAM Sub 8 hour WUs
    P3 1Ghz 512Mgs PC133 SDRAM Sub 8 hour WUs

The top 3 systems aren't mine so don't start...

Just a note on the connection problems. Berkeley are experiencing enormous bandwidth issues at present and therefore connection attempts may not always succeed. This problem should be gone soon. Read more about it on the main SETI page

I'm getting

Forbidden You don't have permission to access /index.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

This when trying to access the site/page anyone else on NTL getting this problem or could it just be my browser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Yeah I got that same sh|t as well today.
    I'm not on NTL.

This might explain the errors experienced...
    — March 7, 2002 —
    We had a sudden, short power outage on campus (Fri Mar 8 01:05:27 GMT), which caused many machines to reboot. Luckily, our important machines have backup power and were fine. However, the entire hill lost connectivity to the rest of the world. News to come..

Taken from: [url]Http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'll have to get back in the game and install it on my work PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Right, ive joined up - p3 1ghz & p3 500mhz both running the cmd line client. RaR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

new version out too

Windows version 3.06 is a special Windows release. It fixes a bug in the GUI client which prevented automatic retries after an unsuccessful attempt to connect to the server while in screensaver mode. This bug was brought to light and exacerbated by the current bandwidth crisis.
    Version 3.06 has a couple of other minor changes:

It fixes a typo in HTTP headers. This may enable SETI@home to work through transparent proxies. If you are behind a transparent proxy and version 3.06 is still unable to connect, please email us.
    Some workunits produce large (> 60KB) result files. Previous versions can't send these files, so users don't get credit (and, since our server doesn't get results, it keeps sending the work units over and over). This is fixed.

Advertisement