Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy's position is untenable

• 28-05-2002 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

After watching the interview last night it appears that the Irish manager has manipulated the situation to get Roy out of there - he accused Roy of faking an injury - that Roy is now being asked to apologising for defending himself is absolutely ridiculous!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

His position would be untenable if the FAI cared about the Irish team. Unfortunately those fuppin baxtards want Roy Keane out as well because he dared to criticise him. Why do you think they are so desparate to get Colin Healy in the squad, when they know there is no chance of that happening? Why do you think their spokesman is saying over and over that there is no chance of Roy Keane coming back, when both Keane and McCarthy have said there is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No Keanes position was untenable thats why he went. If any of use talked to our bosses (those of us that have bosses) in the manner that Roy did to Mick we would more than likely be disciplined in one way or other, if we did it in front of all the other employees in the company we'd probably be let go for gross misconduct.

I believe Mick will resign after this WC but he should not be the one made the scape goat for the complete and utter mess. He made mistakes, Keane made (and is still imho making mistakes by not ringing Mick directly to sort this out) mistakes and well the FAI are a mistake (Eircon park anyone).

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I agree that if I used language like that in front of my boss in a meeting I would expect to be fired but if he had accused me unjustly of disloyalty and that I was faking illness to get out of doing important work then I would not want to work for him anymore anyway. I would be taking my grievance to the courts however.
    Keane has done this and in the world of football the fans are judge and jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Yes Roy was out of line with what he said but so was McCarthy in the way he handled the situation. The whole thing did look like a setup to get Roy to react in the way he did.
    If Roy wants to return to the squad then he should apologise and Mick should be willing to accept this. It seems to me though that this morning's statements from McCarthy and the players are far too premature. It looks as if they genuinely don't want Keane back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

YEAH BUT KEANE SHOULD JUST RING MICK AND SORT IT OUT IN PRIVATE NOT IN THE MEDIA

Sheesh some people just don't listen.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Or some people don't agree, I don't think that Mick should be the manager at all for his incompetence in this issue. Roy should go back - McCarthy should go home. I think that he is not worth apologising too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ihatemushrooms

If McCarthy has accused Roy, in front of the team, of faking injury Roy shouldn`t have verbally abused him he should have Nutted him, end of story.

McCarthy does not have the right to call someone a cheat and a liar who has represented their country as often and well as Keane has.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

McCarthy will be gone if not before the end of the world cup, certainly shortly afterwards.

The FAI are certainly incompetent, but they are not stupid enough to ignore the ground swell of support behind Keano.

What will be the reaction at the first home international after the WC? I would not be surprised to hear a lot of booing when Micko comes out from the tunnel.

Note that I will not be campaigning for any booing. Thats totally up to the fans who go....

--
    Bring Back Roy Campaign
    www.bringbackroy.com
    Sign the petition to support Roy!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Originally posted by gandalf
    YEAH BUT KEANE SHOULD JUST RING MICK AND SORT IT OUT IN PRIVATE NOT IN THE MEDIA
    This is a major point in the whole saga. Keane apparently didn't want it all out in the media, I get the impression that he has an intense distrust of the media and was dragged into the whole media circus by the fact that stories were getting out of hand and he was being demonised.
    As he said himself in the interview, "I wasn't the one who called a press conference 15 mins after the meeting", this allowed no chance for any conciliatory measures to be taken.
    Another point is the comments supposedly made by Keane in the meeting. A lot of people seem to be going with the fact that Keane called McCarthy's Irishness into question and called him a c*nt, and an english c*nt at that. This was never substantiated and has in fact been denied by Keane. He admits to calling him a w4nker which is hardly what I would call a foul-mouthed tirade, ffs these are all grown men from working class backgrounds to the most part.
    Do you honestly believe that they would be so upset by hearing this type of language?
    Thsi whole situation stinks and believe it or not I am not a huge Roy Keane fan but the way this story looks at the moment I am backing him all the way and have found myself respecting him even more as it has developed, just as McCarthy is starting to look to me like a man who tried to manipulate the media to divert the blame from himself and ended up getting caught up in a sh1tstorm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>>Keane has done this and in the world of football the fans are judge and jury.

Oh how naieve some people are.

To pick up on something Galdalf said, why is Keane giving interviews? Its obviously only to get support for himself personally. If he was trtying to get himself back into the squad, he wouldn't do it by tryign to weasel his way in via the media. He would phone McCarthy in private, apologise, and he would be back over. This business in the media does no-one any benefit except the media, and Roy Keane. Even is personality is not one to drop hints in interviews, he's tyhe type who if he had something significant to say to McCarthy, would say it face to face, as he has done. We know his agent set up this interview for him last night. Michael Kennedy is in constant contact with Alex Ferguson, so I would imagine United had a vested interest in this interview as well.

The interview was probably conducted for Keane to find a middle ground between appearing regretful for the benefit of the Irish fans (especially Irish Man Utd fans, who pour their money into a British club, at the expense of the FAI they think they have a right to slag), while stopping short of apologising to McCarthy. Again, as Gandalf said, if he wanted it ENOUGH, he would pick up the phone and apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If a similar situation had taken place in an office the outcome would have been a lot different.

If an office manager accused an employee of something untrue in front of all the other staff and the employee unleashed abuse at him in the end it would probably see the employee taking the company to court and the manager losing his job.

No matter what happens in the WC McCarthy should be sacked upon his arrival home and the FAI should get down on their knees and beg Keano to come back and play for the new manager.

I wouldnt like to be Matt Holland playing in Old Trafford next season. (If he signs for Leeds)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Thats an interesting point bucks73. I think its fair to say that MU supporters in the UK will support Keane 100%.

If Holland does sign for Leeds, then every time Holland gets the ball the cacophony of boos will be deafening. That goes for some other players too.

BTW I am a Liverpool supporter, so I at least have some sort of objective view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

A lot of United fans dont give a toss about England and international football because of the amount of stick United players have received the past few years. Beckham and Phil Neville were blamed for getting knocked out of two tournaments and then booed for the season wherever travelled.

Now all of a sudden Beckham is the hero again and a bit like Roy a lot of English supporters are relying on him to perform. No doubt he will take the blame if they have a poor tournament.

As for Roy he will still be the number 1 favourite when it kicks off again in August and I am sure he will be even more determined to get United to a CL final.

Advertisement