Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane - Hero or @rsehole?

• 28-05-2002 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

I was very pro McCarthy until I saw that interview last night. Now I'm not so sure...

The one thing I have picked up on is the diversity of opinion. So lets hear the numbers on it...

Roy Keane - Hero or @rsehole? 82 votes

Hero
    0% 0 votes
    @rsehole
    31% 26 votes
    Somewhere in the middle, this situation is only 50% his fault
    29% 24 votes
    Neither its all the FAI\'s fault
    26% 22 votes
    atari/jaguar (other)
    12% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I wouldn't say he's a hero, he's sticking up for what he believes is right. He was right when he called the rest of the players cowardly. to be honest., i think alot of the squad must be jealous of roy keane, all the praise etc he's recieved. Do they not realise having him in the team makes the whole lot of them look a hell of a lot better. The question I ask myself is, what if keano hadn't said anything about the pitch, and damien duff or the likes broke a leg on it. First thing everyone would say is "why didn't someone say something about the pitch!?"....the thought of a fit roy keane not playing in a world cup play off in Iran is just silly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The senior players who spoke out against Roy are certainly cowards. The younger and low profile players probably didnt say anything as they didnt want to be kicked out also. Guys like Duff, Morrisson and Robbie Keane have not only this World Cup but a Euro qualifying campaign coming up and dont want to fall foul of
    McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

1. Keane was out of line with his comments (as reported) at the players' meeting last week. He would have to apologise to Mick for them if he wants to return to the squad. Also, if Mick feels that Roy's comments on the squad's preparations are undermining his authority, then Roy should be willing to agree to express them only in private.

2. Mick McCarthy's man-management of Roy was poor. He should be making it clear that if Roy does apologise he will be accepted back into the squad. He should also apologise to Roy for suggesting that he faked injury to get out of the Iran match.

3. The FAI are a shower of incompetent fools. They are desparate to get Roy Keane out of the squad because of his criticisms of them. They are scum.

4. The players should keep their gobs shut. It seems that many of them genuinely don't want Keane in the squad and are doing there best to make sure he stays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

I voted are-sa-hole but I do think the FAI, McCarthy's pride and the media like a bunch of rats are also to blame in this.

I voted "@rsehole" because Cameroon had their flight delayed for 5 days with none of their coaches to help, and Argengtina had equipment lost.

Did any of those players ( who are as dedicated to their country as Roy Keane ) Walk out of the team, Speak to the media, or call their manager a @F&*^ing %^&.

No they did not, but Roy Keane did.

Keane has his head wrecked from Sir Alex, he's spoiled and pampered by that f%^&ing man utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Roy Keane is GOD! Im not a Man U supporter, but I think that he is the best player in the world full stop..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 simpsons rule

WELL HE IS COMING BACK NOW SO WE ARE SAFE AS HOUSES

comon ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jesus man, calm down... calling people "suckers" and shouting (using enormous text) doesn't make your point any clearer or worth reading.

So it's looking more likely that Keane will return. Good stuff.

I've advised RTÉ News of this "exclusive" report from sports.com. Here's hoping they follow up on it. I'll be watching 6.1 meself.

[edit]:- by the way - Eamonn Dunphy on Today FM has just said that he was talking to Keane in the past hour and that the rumours of him planning an immediate return to Japan are simply not true. (god dammit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I voted for the 50% area...Maybe if any good comes of this the current FAI hierarchy might piss off after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The more time goes on it looks like Mick and the FAI are coming out of this the worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Darth Maul will destroy the FAI

The phantom menace, Darth Maul is a bad @ss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

HERO!Keano is the man , id back roy all the way , fair enough maybe the players are with him , but why didnt they speak up for him . its common knowledge that roy has a temper , the comments to mccarthy were rough alright but i mean the world cup has a lot of pressure for the players and he just needed to get it out . personally im glad he didnt back down , instead he stuck by his guns , in my eyes keano rocks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roy Keane has bigger balls than a lot of those players out there and wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

The F.A.I released a comment to the press a few days ago which was aong these lines,

It was arranged for Keane to return to the WC, they had organised flights and even a time to announce his return, all Roy Keane had to do was pick up the phone and talk to Mick, this Phone call call never happened.....

Now im not 100% sure, but i "think" that this was at the same time that the Donkey Niall Quinn came out at a press conference with the vote ofa ll the players, they were all against Keane coming back.

Now, this would not exactly make Keane feel welcome

Secondly the F.A.I and Mick need to get some P.R skills, the players have no right to say who can and who cannot play hats the managers job.

In the end he is not there, probably due to the comments of Niall Quinns Press conference, the big Donkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thread should be retitled "Roy Keane- From Hero to Arsehole"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Lock it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RATM wrote: »

Thread from 2002 resurrected, didn't realise it was possible.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

He's a kunt but he's our kunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

RATM wrote: »

your 10 years too late my friend;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Super Zombie thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Zombie thread is a zombie thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can people be banned for opening up ten year old threads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I was about 3 or 4 posts into this when i saw the date! oooooooold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can someone close this please?

Fair play though, serious effort put in to pulling up a ten year old thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement