Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom III

Options
  • 28-05-2002 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Anyone else downloaded the movie from E3?

Just had a look at it and have to say, it looks absolutely awesome. If those scenes genuinely are "in-game" it looks like being the game against which all others will be measured.

The detail on the models, the lighting, the level of complexitiy of the levels - it looks like the pre-rendered cutscenes we are used to seeing on other games.

heres hoping the gameplay will be as good.

Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

I think they've edited those pictures slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

apparantly they are real time, there was an article on gamespy.com about it.

Most of the effects are being generated using bump mapping, rather than huge amounts of polygons.

The XBox should be easily able to handle it performance wise, whether they port it or not will probably depend on how serious microsoft are about promoting the xbox.

(all of doom III's niceness is graphics card dependent, a gef3 can turn them all on, while the Xbox has an equivelent of a gef4 core in it vertex wise, but only has to render at 640x480).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by Spiffing
    I think they've edited those pictures slightly.

I dont think so - Im referring to the movie rather than the stills that have been posted on various internet sites.

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The movie was a lot lower res than the images that were posted.

What they're doing is certainly nice. The engine is very impressive - basically the good bits are the real-time shadows, and the use of bump-mapping and self shadowing on models. The rest of it is just a result of higher resolution textures, increased in-game scripting, more polygons and the ability - finally! - to ditch lightmaps as the primary way of shadowing objects.

I suspect that he's using preburned shadow volumes as well although it's hard to tell from the vid.

It's a nice engine. Game looks... so-so, very Quake2-ish rather than Doom-ish. I guess we'll have to see what shows up over the coming months, the game is still over a year off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That 10min Cam Corder Video looks the biz. You can recognise some of the Screenies from it. There scripted animations, but they DO blend into the gameplay, as in there done by the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Seen the clip, looks awesome. Sounds like Mr. Carmack has outdone himself with this new engine. I'm looking forward to it.
    very Quake2-ish rather than Doom-ish.

I got no problem with that, been re-playing Quake over the last few days, and if Doom3 is a littlw closer to that I have no problem with it.....what exactly is the difference anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by AngryBadger
    Seen the clip, looks awesome. Sounds like Mr. Carmack has outdone himself with this new engine. I'm looking forward to it.

I got no problem with that, been re-playing Quake over the last few days, and if Doom3 is a littlw closer to that I have no problem with it.....what exactly is the difference anyway?

I think the difference is that Doom's atmosphere (which to me has not been bettered by any game,even Q1 or half life), had both the stealthy "oh fcuk, whats around this corner" aspects, but also rooms full of 50-100 enemies for a full on blastfest. Q2 was more a case of confronting small groups of monsters individually.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As Quorthon said - its the doom atmosphere.
    Running around,not a care in the world,then you flick a switch and 6million enemies pop out and you will nothing but a rocket launcher (what a pity :)) to blast them back to the firy gates of hell from wence they came.
    I havent seen them clips yet, but hopefully it will have the classic doom style puzzles in it, i always liked them for some odd reason.
    But i cant wait for doom3 :)

Advertisement