Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathal Coughlan

Options
  • 28-05-2002 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

wow! Saw him in the shelter on sunday, best thing i've heard in a while! Did anyone go to the gig, or does anyone know of any albums, or of his website or anything?
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

WOW,Now that is a blast from the past.It must be nearly 9 or 10 yrs. since I seen him with The Fatima Mansions.Can't remember exactly where(they musn't have made that big an impression on me,sorry).Did they ever support A house?Don't know if he has any new stuff out...
    (10 min lapse)Just checked out his web-site,there's an album due for release on June 24th called "The Sky's Awful Blue".
    Hope this puts a smile on your face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Don't forget he was also in Microdisney in the 80s, well worth checking out (although a lot poppier than Fatima Mansions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

MICRODISNEY,I THINK THE HAD SOME SORT OF HIT WITH "TOWN TO TOWN"...DID THEY?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

One of the great composers/lyricists to leave these shores (in my opinion). His 'Mr Grumpy' persona turns many off, but if pent up satirical rage is your thing, he is the man.

his site is at http://www.cathalcoughlan.com
    There's stuff to download.

Microdisney only 'sounded' poppier, lyrics were just as cutting, but I think he has yet to surpass 'Viva dead ponies', the Fatima's creative peak.

For masochists or novelty freaks everywhere, the 'collaborations' with Sean Hughes; 'Bubonique' is worth ONE listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 bren

Have to agree... an amazing show...
    a fabulous line-up (ya cant go wrong
    with Double bass electric piano and
    electric cello).... and a large
    appreciative crowd.... the Rant thing
    he did was awsome.... as was the whole show..

Roll on the next great gig in the Shelter...
    Gallon Drunk!!

And eh dont think Microdisney/Mansions ever
    supported A House, MD had several successful releases by the time A House were releasing their
    classic early singles ... possibly the other way
    round though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by alastair

Microdisney only 'sounded' poppier, lyrics were just as cutting,

Yes, 'twas the sound I was referring to rather than the lyrical content - they were very adept at sugar-coating bitter pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by alastair

his site is at http://www.cathalcoughlan.com
    There's stuff to download.

WOW! Some good stuff there... dark though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hee hee
    and i got one of the cd's
    people got very upset about the cd's being gone, i got people coming up to me and begging me for one, ah well. the cd is excellent anyway. i will definately be buying his album if he has one coming out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

check out 'lost in the former west' by the fatima mansions.

oh yes

Advertisement