Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Tech Question

Options
  • 28-05-2002 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Chaps

I am probably going to buya new Dell PC shortly and had a question concerning ADSL. On Dell's online site, where you can build your own spec PC, there is the option for network cards. Curiously enough, beside this option is a small explanatory sentence that reads something like "Broadband Internet Access requires a Network Card".

Now I was under the impression that the USB or Ethernet modem supplied by an ADSL provider did everything required to connect to the service. Could someone please explain how both of these options work? The cost isnt that much so if I thought I would need one in future I would get the card to future-proof it as much as possible.

/me is confused.

Very grateful for any assistance.

Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you opt for a USB modem, you don't need an ethernet card. A network card is only necessary for 'ethernet' modems. Further info on the Net/Comms forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You need a USB port or NIC to connect the modem to your machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now I was under the impression that the USB or Ethernet modem supplied by an ADSL provider did everything required to connect to the service.

Eircom (I don't know about Esat) don't provide the NIC for free, so the option is there for you to provide it yourself. I don't know how this applies to the "enhanced" service though, there's a lot of misinformation out there. Check with your provider first, your mileage may vary.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

OK so if I have this right............

If you go for the USB option then you dont need a network card.

If you go for the Ethernet option you need a network card but have the option of supplying one yourself.

Question is - which one is the better option? I assume if you are going to have a home network or more than 1 pc then the ethernet is the way to go???

Are there any other differences eg ping times in games? performance (is there more of a cpu load on USB / ethernet) etc??

Why, for Eircoms offering at least, is the ethernet option more expensive (€200 ex vat v €145 ex vat for the USB option). What extra features justify the difference in price (considering you also need a network card)?

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

This link should answer most of your questions and the forums aswell has a few people asking the same questions.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=usb

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Question is - which one is the better option?

I don't know personally, but the consensus seems to be that Ethernet is the kiddy.

I assume if you are going to have a home network or more than 1 pc then the ethernet is the way to go???

That would be one reason...

Are there any other differences eg ping times in games? performance (is there more of a cpu load on USB / ethernet) etc??

...the other being that you get better throughput on Ethernet.

Why, for Eircoms offering at least, is the ethernet option more expensive (€200 ex vat v €145 ex vat for the USB option). What extra features justify the difference in price (considering you also need a network card)?

You'd have to delve into the depths of Eircom's madness for an answer to that one I'm afraid. And there's no point in asking the person on the other end of the phone, because they won't know.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by Lockup
    This link should answer most of your questions and the forums aswell has a few people asking the same questions.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=usb

Brilliant Lockup

Thats a great reference source.

Cheers

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

If you decide to go for the ethernet modem, which is supposed to be better, you may need a second NIC if you want to network some machines as well. (I think, does anyone know?)

Advertisement