Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 19" & 21" monitors

• 28-05-2002 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I am getting a new Dell pc shortly and had a few questions concerning their monitors.

I am going with at least 19" but dont know whether to get the basic one or the ultrascan or not. Does anyone have any experience with either of these??

Specifically if anyone has the ultrascan, I have seen lots of good reviews in terms of picture quality, colours, sharpness etc but am slightly concerned by the damper wires. Are these very visible? Do you cease to notice them after a while?

Does anyone know anywhere that comparable monitors are on display so I could see one for myself? (I know its a dell, but the monitors are made by Phillips or Sony so maybe PC World or something has one)

Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

They have 19" ultrascans at work and i've also got one at home as well. The damper wires aren't noticable for the most part (they only really stand out against solid bright backgrounds) and you'll more than likely forgot about them quickly enough. Resolutions like 1280x1024 are v. comfortable on it's flat screen surface and the control adjustments are fairly comprehensive. The only other problems i can mention is the dam weight (not much fun when lugging it to a friends gaff for a lan) and the stick you'll get from envious mates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The standard dell 19" are too be avoided.. i've used several over the past few weeks and anyone thats over two or three years old has terrible problems with colour (they tend to have a slight green tint), contrast, and in one case nothing on the screen is in focus.. (perhaps due to a knock).. (these are pre-black dell machines btw)
    I haven't personally used the ultrascans.. so I won't comment on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a 19" Dell P991 (its a rebadged sony trinitron) and its a beautiful piece of technology. You can only see the two wires across the screen when very bright colours (ie, white) is being displayed.

I don't know if this is the "ultrascan" you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by Stephen
    I have a 19" Dell P991 (its a rebadged sony trinitron) and its a beautiful piece of technology. You can only see the two wires across the screen when very bright colours (ie, white) is being displayed.

I don't know if this is the "ultrascan" you mention.

It is - they refer to them as "ultrascans" on the webbie - the latest model is the P992 - which I think is effectively the same as the P991 except for new colour scheme (black/midnight grey I think?)

I think I will go for the 21" - should be great for dvd's with the altec lansing thx certified speakers :)

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I use a dell 19" ultrascan (sony trinitron tube ) in work, absolutely superb monitor. Excellent picture quality, even though its probably about 2 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye same as above. Only qualm is that the refresh rate at 1600x1200 is only 75. Can wear on the eyes a little bit..

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by Gerry
    I use a dell 19" ultrascan (sony trinitron tube ) in work, absolutely superb monitor. Excellent picture quality, even though its probably about 2 years old.

Do you notice the damper wires????

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I noticed them on mine for the first few days, as I was using a 17" with no wires across the screen before it. After a few days you just don't notice them any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

No, I don't notice them. Btw verb, I think 1600 * 1200 strains even these monitors a bit, I prefer 1280 * 1024 @ 85hz. Picture is sharper. I think you need a 21" for 1600 comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have a 19" HP monitor at home that does 1600 at 85. Perfectly usable. Though yeah, the dell ones aren't great at the high range. Mind you, at slightly lower, they have high refresh and are really good. ( As you say )

( 1600x1200 is great when programming in VC++ :) )

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement