Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding drop down search

Options
  • 28-05-2002 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

What i want too do is add a option that someone can enter text in a box and then pick which search engeni to use from a drop menu.
    I have seen it on a other web sites but they are sending info back to there server.
    so i need to find a way of doing it my self.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have access to PHP or CGI it shouldn't be too awkward to set up.
    You would basically be passing the query string to the engine based on the selection. (I've definitely lost control of my English)
    The bit which takes a bit of time is getting the right string to send the engine. However, if you want them, I have quite a few of them already done which I use on http://www.irishsearch.net/ Do a search for something like 'hosting' and you will be presented with the option of continuing your search on Irish and international directories and search engines. It's not a drop-down, but the idea is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

the thing is i do not know php or cgi
    so what i need is some code that would pass the query string to the engine based on the selection.
    what i need most is the code to pass the query on.
    i think i can work out the rest.
    but if anyone has it done all ready i would be happy to use it :)

Have a quick look on hotscripts
    There are quite a few 'ready-made' solutions for this. If you can write HTML you should be able to edit them to add any other search engines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

a guy i knew did www.searchingireland.com but that seems to have disappeared by the way side .

Originally posted by Pablo
    a guy i knew did www.searchingireland.com but that seems to have disappeared by the way side .
    It was great initially, but then went down the tubes.. I think it was bought out by somebody

• Advertisement

I have been looking at hotscripts,
    but i can not fine any that seem to do what i want.
    then have it at the top of there main page.
    a search box wiht a list of diff search engines to search.
    maby i just do not know what to be looking under.
    if anyone has any code or links to where it is i would love it
    thanks for the help so far blacknight,

I found one rather simple example for you in PHP:
    http://www.mywebresources.co.uk/php/uksearch.htm
    It could act as a basis for something more elaborate. If you need the codes for about half a dozen Irish search engines/directories and a dozen international ones let me know via email. Ok?
    info@blacknight-solutions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

I think [THIS] is just what you're looking for.

Just like to say thanks Blacknight and peterd for there help
    It's all working like a dream now :)

You're welcome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement