Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggestions for the salvation of phantasm

Options
  • 28-05-2002 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

i know that those of use who go to phantasm regularly complain about it a lot, but let's not get all negative on phantoms ass. instead, how about some suggestions about how to improve thursday nights in whelans? first of all, ALWAYS have gavin fox from turn working there. it makes the evening much more enjoyable. secondly, the music is such a big issue. i'd like to hear something more eclectic every once in a while... some songs you'd never expect to hear. how about giving some of the following bands some consideration? :

jefferson airplane
    joy division
    new order
    depeche mode
    faith no more
    sex pistols
    the knack
    the lemonheads
    nada surf
    beck
    paul simon

anyone else got some ideers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BEHOLD!

I havent been to Phantasm since it was changed to Whelans,
    but what would be cool is if they got 2 or 3 bands to play every 2nd Phantasm with the Djs on before,between and after.
    Obviously...the bands would want to be screened...lest they be pants.
    :)
    or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah, generally a bit more variety seems to be what people are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

but wasn't tom e brown's point that people didn't want diversity and that they complained when the good djs attempted to play some? anyway, i'd be all for just general diversity, anything, what beretta suggested would be great, i don't know/like some of his/her suggestions, but diversity is a *good* thing. even if they played something by the pixies which wasn't debaser or here comes your man. it's not as if most of the people there don't know the pixies inside out as it is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

oooh beck would be great! and so easy to dance to! I heard the sexx laws single the other day and the songs on it are brilliant! and depeche mode? do they not play depeche mode? Bad phantom people! Theyre another band that are so much fun to dance to. hmm, what i would like to hear
    the cocteau twins..although...people would probably be afriad if they were played...i know i would ;) you'd probably have to hunt out a playable song
    yeah new order would be good
    although my music taste is probably a bit too slow for dancing to.
    basement jaxx would be nice
    air
    super furry animals..herman loves pauline (or hearts pauline, as i was corrected by steve conway last time i requested it) would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

can you reallt see Joy Division going down well in whelans??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ~oh god~hahahahahahaha!!!

Ian Curtis is turning in his grave this very minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i'm pretty sure joy division would (and does) go down well in whelan's, as long as they don't play some really crazy depressing song. love will tear us apart is always greeted well in any club (as far as i can recall). as for the cocteau twins, isn't that kind of like expecting a club to play the tindersticks (i've given up on this a long time ago)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

my only suggestion is to make it sound more like the regular phantom programming. more young acts, more irish acts, a bit more adventurousness. i listen to phantom because it demands an open set of ears, yet when i go to their club it sounds like the rural rock disco of my teenage years...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Transmission by Joy Division is a great dance song. And yeah of course there's always Love Will Tear Us Apart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

isolation by joy division!
    and bjork, as well
    yeah, if i heard a cocteau twins song while i was out i'd probably hug the dj, coz i NEVER have met anyone who knows who they are. (well..2 people). but it owuld be nice if it did happen, id be a very happy person, even though i dont think it'd work to eb quite honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

yeah i agree, a couple of changes would probably go a long way. Maybe phantom could get some special guest dj's goin. i.e people from bands or poeple generally involved in the scene around Dublin. I know ive stayed behind in the music centre after gigs for screamadelica, and because most of the time they have people like, Ricky Warrick, Graham Hopkins, Gav and Ollie from Turn etc. they each have different tastes in music therefore the playlist will become varied. it'd certainly solve the problem of people becoming frustrated with the same stuff played week in week out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement