Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running Windows xp on a lap-top

• 28-05-2002 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have a P133 with 32mb of RAM. 8mb graphics card. I want to upgrade to Windows xp.

Yes, I here you all rolling around laughing. But, it has been running Windows 2000 quite happily (and may I say speedily) for the past year.

Unfortunately, Windows xp won't allow me to upgrade as it detects my lack of RAM. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Secondly, on a more trivial note, are there any other tweaks anyone is dying to tell the world to optimize a PC like this. I'm sure everyone has one stuffed in the attic somewhere, and I have found that if they are well maintained, they can be very helpful.

Bellum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

xp, your not serious ?? Xp is a good bit different than 2k, uses a lot more cpu and ram, the only way around that is to get more ram. I cant really see you getting XP onto that laptop :eek: with 32mb ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I'm running XP on a P4 1.6 with 128Mb of ram at the mo cause im setting up my raid array and its slow.

Doubt it since it needs a 350 minimum i think.

Also its really fast compared to any other os ive used on a desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

im on sony vaio laptop 750mhz with 128mb ram

lappys made for win98 but i put winxp on and yes it is quite sluggish a lot of the time. its recommend that 128 is the minimum for xp in most magazines, but i feel you should be up at 256 to be comfortable.

32mb, does it even boot up into win2k??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

<asshole>
    The reason Microsoft has coded the Windows XP installation in such a fashion that it will not allow you to install the operating system is because the operating system cannot actually run on 32 MB of ram. And even if you did get it running, it would be incredibly slow and you would probably post a string of "MicroSuck are ghey! Windoze XP is slooow man! Micro$haft are losers!" or some equally whiney-moany post.
    </asshole>

Believe me, you do not want to run Windows XP on that specification. Never mind the fact that you can't actually do so, but even running it on a PII-233Mhz with 64 MB of ram box it is painfully slow. Is there anything specific about XP you want or is it merely a case of "I want the newest thing around"? If it's a specific feature somebody might be able to point out a suitable third part alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well i run Xp on a celeron 500 with 128meg of ram....my laptop is built for 2k...and well Xp runs perfectly on it.....don't find it slugish at all....

but i'd concur not a hope of it running well on anything less than my spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Check out the thread i posted on tweaking XP, worked wonders on my laptop.. was never slow but it now rockets...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54500

Advertisement