Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any installations of ADSL yet.

Options
  • 28-05-2002 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

This forum is not nearly as busy as it was in the past ... have most people given up?

Has anyone here decided to subscribe to I-Stream? and if so has the service been installed? or have you received a firm install date.

Has anyone applied for the enhanced service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I get residential on 6/6 between 9 and 12 in the morning.
    But honestly im not expecting it that day.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 30 turiel

I'm getting it installed tommorrow morning. Apparently. I'll keep you posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

have most people given up?

Things are very busy behind the sences, no-one has given up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I have ESAT DSL at work in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Originally posted by ElNino
    I have ESAT DSL at work in Limerick.

Where do you work exactly ElNino?
    Is it in town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

I'm due to get it installed between 3 to 6 on Friday the 31th. But one again I don't think that's going to happen.

Anyone know how long it takes and the steps they take when installing?

regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Installation is no big deal. Guy will come in, ask where yer Phone Socket is, replace it with the splitter box (roughly the same size, a bit thicker). He'll probably ask you to install the SpeedTouch/Eircom software while hes doing that. He'll test it then, make sure its working and off he goes.

Take him about 20mins at most.

(^Assuming yer getting USB Solo.)

Well, surprisingly enough, Eircom actually came to install ADSL for me today, albeit an hour or two later. Not surprisingly though, it doesn't work (yet). Everything's all wired up now and the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem is connect to my computer. However, the line isn't syncing (according to the tech). He says that the last one he did didn't sync either, and that maybe the exchange isn't wired for ADSL yet. Err... you'd think they'd check those things before sending an engineer out to your house. But sure it's Eircom. He said even if its not enabled at the exchange (whitehall), it'll be a priority now. Hmmmm.

Other than that, the only other problem was with the Eircom IStream software. It failed the processor check cause I have an Athlon, and recommended is a Pentium. Are intel paying eircom to do that? :P It also failed the browser check and exited the install cause I haven't got Internet Explorer installed. Funny, wonder what I'm typing this on now. Internet Explorer version 6 maybe? They include 5.5 on the CD but I don't want to install that. Oh, and it detected WinXP as Win2k.

I've to ring them now in a day or two and see what the story with the exchange is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If you are running XP you don't need any of the eircom software. I set my PC (running XP) up just entering the isp details in the network connections menus. It works just fine. I think XP is the first windoze to support ppp connections natively (could be talking out my arse here, I'm more used to macs)

anyway, you don't need their stinkin' software.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by alastair
    If you are running XP you don't need any of the eircom software. I set my PC (running XP) up just entering the isp details in the network connections menus. It works just fine. I think XP is the first windoze to support ppp connections natively (could be talking out my arse here, I'm more used to macs)

anyway, you don't need their stinkin' software.

I came across a piece in the US explaining that if you try to install ISP supplied software on an XP system you will have no end of problems. Visit this link for further info http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52756,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by turiel
    Well, surprisingly enough, Eircom actually came to install ADSL for me today, albeit an hour or two later. Not surprisingly though, it doesn't work (yet). Everything's all wired up now and the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem is connect to my computer. However, the line isn't syncing (according to the tech). He says that the last one he did didn't sync either, and that maybe the exchange isn't wired for ADSL yet. Err... you'd think they'd check those things before sending an engineer out to your house. But sure it's Eircom. He said even if its not enabled at the exchange (whitehall), it'll be a priority now. Hmmmm.

Other than that, the only other problem was with the Eircom IStream software. It failed the processor check cause I have an Athlon, and recommended is a Pentium. Are intel paying eircom to do that? :P It also failed the browser check and exited the install cause I haven't got Internet Explorer installed. Funny, wonder what I'm typing this on now. Internet Explorer version 6 maybe? They include 5.5 on the CD but I don't want to install that. Oh, and it detected WinXP as Win2k.

I've to ring them now in a day or two and see what the story with the exchange is.

Turiel

Where are you exactly?? I am in Glasnevin and believe when I got ISDN installed that I was told I am connected to the Whitehall exchange also. Would be interested to know when it is ADSL ready.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

He said even if its not enabled at the exchange (whitehall), it'll be a priority now

I cant believe they would send an engineer out to install adsl when your exchange isn't even upgraded for dsl?

how did you by-pass the line test ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I cant believe they would send an engineer out to install adsl when your exchange isn't even upgraded for dsl?

I can. It's the linemen I feel sorry for.

how did you by-pass the line test ?

He didn't have to. The line test just checks that the line itself is up to scratch. The DSLAM isn't needed.

adam

Originally posted by Quorthon

Turiel

Where are you exactly??
    Q

Just off Glasnevin Ave, near DCU.

As for the line test - they never told me they were running one. I'm not altogether sure if they actually did... I mean, during my ordering process (the telephone call), not once did they tell me to 'please wait' or put me on hold or anything. They just gave me an installation date straight away. Maybe they did it before they called me?

Oh and the engineer said it *could* be cause the exchange hasnt been upgraded yet. He didnt know. I rang tech support today to follow up on it and was told that the exchange would get in contact with me. I asked the tech support person to confirm that I wasn't being charged for the service yet. He said the service was active (funny, I still seem to be on a dialup modem) and I was being charged for it and he couldnt change that, but that the problem wouldn't take more than a day to sort anyway so it didn't matter. I'll be very very very suprised if it takes a day to sort. We'll see tommorrow (friday). Betcha they won't ring.

Just off Glasnevin Ave, near DCU.

Oh and the engineer said it *could* be cause the exchange hasnt been upgraded yet. He didnt know. I rang tech support today to follow up on it and was told that the exchange would get in contact with me. I asked the tech support person to confirm that I wasn't being charged for the service yet. He said the service was active (funny, I still seem to be on a dialup modem) and I was being charged for it and he couldnt change that, but that the problem wouldn't take more than a day to sort anyway so it didn't matter. I'll be very very very suprised if it takes a day to sort. We'll see tommorrow (friday). Betcha they won't ring.

We are probably within a stones throw of one another then!!!! :)

Keep us updated - I am particularly interested to see what the situation is with the whitehall exchange.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by PiE
    Installation is no big deal. Guy will come in, ask where yer Phone Socket is, replace it with the splitter box (roughly the same size, a bit thicker). He'll probably ask you to install the SpeedTouch/Eircom software while hes doing that. He'll test it then, make sure its working and off he goes.

Take him about 20mins at most.

(^Assuming yer getting USB Solo.)

Wow sounds like its worth the €199 installation fee!!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    He didn't have to. The line test just checks that the line itself is up to scratch. The DSLAM isn't needed.

oh, didnt know that :confused: I taught the exchange had to upgraded first

Surprise surprise, they didn't call. No point in ringing them back till Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Originally posted by Overlord

Where do you work exactly ElNino?
    Is it in town?

Yeah, just off O'Connell Street. They are working out of Eircon's Roches Street Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Cian, one of the CS regulars on the radox server, got his ADSL on Friday.

• Advertisement

Yup, I was right about them not running a line test. A week later, after Eircom have installed all the DSL stuff in my house, I've been told that my line isn't suitable for DSL and they are sorry for the inconvenience. They'll keep me updated and contact me if my line somehow magically decides to work. On the plus side, I think I got all of the charges to my account dropped, which means I got a free adsl modem.

Yup, I was right about them not running a line test. A week later, after Eircom have installed all the DSL stuff in my house, I've been told that my line isn't suitable for DSL and they are sorry for the inconvenience. They'll keep me updated and contact me if my line somehow magically decides to work. On the plus side, I think I got all of the charges to my account dropped, which means I got a free adsl modem.

ouch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They still havent picked mine up yet either :]

I rang the engineer and gave him a time to collect and he never showed. That was 2 weeks ago.

Username/Password aint working, free modem though.

Tough tits eircom.

This does not bode well - did you get any feeling as to whether this was specifically your line, or that the lines in general in this area are unsuitable??? Given our proximity I am very interested.

Q

Well seeing as the engineer told me that the last installation he did had the same problem as mine, I'd say its a general problem in this area. Jesus christ will someone pleeeeease bring out cable. Or decent ADSL. That works.

I got mine ,but the engineer said the line wasnt syncing with the exchange and he left with all the wirs in place i called eircom he came back a few hours later and set it up.
    Working fine now but having trouble keeping track of how mnay bytes i dload.650mb in 4 days rough guess.
    Kdja

Originally posted by kdja
    I got mine ,but the engineer said the line wasnt syncing with the exchange and he left with all the wirs in place i called eircom he came back a few hours later and set it up.
    Working fine now but having trouble keeping track of how mnay bytes i dload.650mb in 4 days rough guess.
    Kdja

Where are you kdja???

Q

CLondalkin d.22
    The engineer said the same happened to a guy in Glasnevin and they were waiting for the Eircom guy to flick a switch in the exchange.
    Kdja

aha

I live around the corner from Turiel in Glasnevin so I guess I will wait until that switch is flicked before even thinking about ordering.

Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    Cian, one of the CS regulars on the radox server, got his ADSL on Friday.

hes from dub lives behind the guiness factory its running fine for him no probloms . and gives him pings of .... think its 80 and steady

Advertisement