Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enhanced I-Stream and extra charges

Options
  • 28-05-2002 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I applied for the enhanced service but was forced to re-consider when it was explained to me that I had to either supply a router or pay Euro 900 (exc. VAT) for the Eircom router.

I suggested that I would use the Ethernet Modem instead but was informed that this was not possible as the uncapped enhanced service was only available if a router was installed.

Some people suggested going with a lower cost service and upgrading later but doing this you still run into the same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

that €900 price tag for the router is a scam. It must be there so as to make sure no residential users get onto it, and as it is, it will work. Heeeerrreeee Esat, here boy, comon... thats it, comon.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by ando
    that €900 price tag for the router is a scam.

It's not €900 for the router. That price includes the router, installation, configurations etc. etc. You could just buy the router off them, and set it up yourself or else just pick up your own router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

about how much would it cost then to pickup your own router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes

It's not €900 for the router. That price includes the router, installation, configurations etc. etc. You could just buy the router off them, and set it up yourself or else just pick up your own router.

I was quoted for installation plus an additional Euro 1089 (including VAT) for the router ... the router was mentioned as a separate specific charge.

Have you ever tried supplying your own equipment? I have done so in the past and every time you have a problem they will claim that the fault is with your equipment ... unless you have very skilled IT staff or a recognised supplier this is not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

It needs a seperate PC with to network cards.
    I only used the official dialler for a day or 2.
    See http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/ for details.
    Or www.smoothwall.org.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bricks
    It needs a seperate PC with to network cards.
    I only used the official dialler for a day or 2.
    See http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/ for details.
    Or www.smoothwall.org.
    Yes. Indeed, any computer with ICS (internet connection sharing) running is a router. I believe Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP all have ICS.

You simply establish the connection on one computer using one of the network cards connected to the modem in the normal way. The other network card you connect to your hub. The other computers can then share the connection.

The computer running ICS, of course, is establishing a DSL connection and can be used for browsing, gaming etc. Many people will just have one computer and will not need to run ICS on it. If you only have one computer there is obvously no need of a router.

What I think may have confused the salesperson is that infomat said that he wanted to use the ethernet instead. This may have led the sales person to think that the modem itself was to be used as the router which, in general, would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Dont let eircom fob you off with this €900 charge for a router, the money grabbing b$$$$$ds. Im going to order this service when they fix my line. Im going to tell them that I have my own router and I just want them to install the splitter then to get out of my house. Im doing as bricks uses, a linux box configured to route/NAT/firewall my connection.

Sure you could buy a cisco router but your paying over the nose for it. Alternatively, you could by a DSL Modem/Router that would also suffice but Eircom wouldnt suggest this as it will cost you over €600 less than what they are charging!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I ordered the I-stream Enhanced the day it was launched (install date Thursday 6th).

After a few days I got a call from them to arrange a site survey, and to order a router.

Just tell them:
    a) you don't need a site survey, you already know where you apartment/house, lounge and phone socket are.

b) you don't want the router.

They accepted that and my ADSL installation is still scheduled.

I'm now trying to get them to unbundle a 4 port Ethernet router (as supplied with I-Stream Multi), and sell it to me with the Enhanced package. Thus avoiding the "if you supplied your own router it must be that at fault" excuse if anything goes wrong. I'll keep you posted if this is successful.

Originally posted by Graham
    I ordered the I-stream Enhanced the day it was launched (install date Thursday 6th).

After a few days I got a call from them to arrange a site survey, and to order a router.

Just tell them:
    a) you don't need a site survey, you already know where you apartment/house, lounge and phone socket are.

b) you don't want the router.

They accepted that and my ADSL installation is still scheduled.

I'm now trying to get them to unbundle a 4 port Ethernet router (as supplied with I-Stream Multi), and sell it to me with the Enhanced package. Thus avoiding the "if you supplied your own router it must be that at fault" excuse if anything goes wrong. I'll keep you posted if this is successful.

I did all of the above and they would not supply the 4 port unit with the enhanced service as they claimed that it would not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by infomat
    I did all of the above and they would not supply the 4 port unit with the enhanced service as they claimed that it would not work.
    Hmmm. Telling lies to sell stuff. Isn't that illegal?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by longword

Hmmm. Telling lies to sell stuff. Isn't that illegal?

Anyway I have been forced into the situation whereby they will not supply me with the uncapped service together with their four port modem so I had to go with the multi-user service (or whatever it is called) ... however I will apply for the upgrade as soon as it is installed to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

just order your own router
    like this ZyXEL Prestige 643

adslguide.co.uk review

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PCPlus did a quick adsl modem review as part of their feature article on adsl this month (july issue)

I've scanned the boxout - link is at
    www.boards.ie/members/sceptre/pcplusadsl.jpg

(82k so I thought a link would be best)

Originally posted by sceptre
    PCPlus did a quick adsl modem review as part of their feature article on adsl this month (july issue)
    Trouble is you don't want to call Eircom only to have them say "Your DSL line is down because your modem isn't ours and thus isn't supported". And you just _know_ they'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by longword

Trouble is you don't want to call Eircom only to have them say "Your DSL line is down because your modem isn't ours and thus isn't supported". And you just _know_ they'll do that.

Indeed. And not that I'm doubting the veracity of your statement (because I also staunchly believe they will use that as an excuse), but has this actually happened to anyone yet?

(early days I know but I'd be happier bashing eircom.net for that one if they'd actually done it - actually that's not true - I'll assume they will do that but if we had a hard example of it happening the bashing would never let up)

What's annoying about it (as well as the relatively high cost of the modem purchased direct from eircom) is that the modem options they provide may not be the best option for any individual customer. As a nerdy example, I don't know if the Alcatel Stingray has linux drivers (though I'm sure that they will be developed by users given the widespread use of the modem if they don't already).

The one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work well for ordinary 56k users so there's no reason why it should work well for broadband customers.

56k example: both myself and my brother mainly use 3com Pro message modems because as well as a good modem, it offers the speaker and ansaphone options that we both find a use for. My GF's house have a trust v92 modem as they may at some stage get the v92 benefits and don't require a speaker option. For them it has to be an external modem connected to a com port as their PC isn't the speediest. Many people just use an internal software modem that came with their PC - if the machine is fast enough and they don't upgrade Windows too often (resulting in a performance hit) it makes sense as it's cheaper. And that list could go on. Eircom's current marketing strategy of "you can have this modem with this option and well, that's it really" deosn't make sense to the consumer who wants choice. But then again, that's not their primary concern.

Originally posted by sceptre
    As a nerdy example, I don't know if the Alcatel Stingray has linux drivers (though I'm sure that they will be developed by users given the widespread use of the modem if they don't already).
    As a nerdy reply, http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=629
    The device is supported by a manufacturer-crafted driver and they seem to supply the source. I suspect most Linux users would be happier with the ethernet modem instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I didnt want to start a new topic, but I could'nt help notice that these boards are advertising Eircom Istream ??????????? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by ando
    I didnt want to start a new topic, but I could'nt help notice that these boards are advertising Eircom Istream ??????????? :mad:

Already being discussed on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dpajur

Originally posted by m1ke
    about how much would it cost then to pickup your own router ?

well it's hell of a lot cheaper than 900 euro... for example smc barricade router (router, firewall, print server and 100mbit switch all in one) is 170 euro inc. vat at www.komplett.ie

all you need then is someone to configure it, and if you already have a LAN set up in your home/office it's a piece of cake and shouldn't take more than an hour. or you can check out the manuals and configure it yourself, these things are really simple to use if you have any experience with networking.

i'm not really interested in their service at the moment, but if the price was right i'd definitely get my own router instead of their equipment (modem, router, whatever) and configure it myself.

on a side note, you could always get the cheapest adsl modem from them, and if something goes wrong with the service hook it up and tell them it's not working. i do believe it's more of a myth than reality that they treat the customers so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

You can find most of your Questions answered in this thread .
    Ordering a 1mb line
    all the info on ordering what hardware you need and
    what info you need of eircom and where to get it.

It was on the IOFFL fourm but they moved it.
    PS: i think it was of more help here.

Coyote

• Advertisement
Advertisement