Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

múm tonight..

Options
  • 29-05-2002 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

a quick review that i posted elsewhere.. thought ppl might be interested here too..

while i'd love nothing better than to say
    it was the best gig i've ever been too.... it wasn't.
    mum themselves were nothing short of transcendal ,
    absolutely beautiful music, playing all their best tracks
    (including my favourite ballad of broken birdie records as an encore) the new single green grass of tunnel was the second track played, and a few more tracks (of which i dont know hte name) off the new album were played also....

and now for the but. the sound in spirit (or formerly hq) was absolutely dire. they had a 30x10 foot projector screen hanging in between the two main left/right speakers which resulted in an absolutely shuddering distortion at the lower mid-range level (just above bass levels)...
    i had thought the speaker we were nearest too was ****ed, while it might have been, the projector screen no doubt added to the ****ed up sound.
    while a band like mum have a certain amount of distortion in their sound this was undeniably the result of poor judgement on behalf of the sound engineer (who i compained to atthe end of the set).
    also it was a strangely short set imo just over the hour-ten minute mark i made it.. pah anyway in conclusion beautiful music, beautiful singers (mmmm cellist), poor venue.
    oh yeah the support act (good night john or something?) werent too bad either, they sounded alright (they lacked a bass player anyway) very predictable mogwai-esque stuff though the vocals were pretty good.

--
    Ken

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Sounded like a good night
    €16 is a bit steep for a weekday event though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

nah twas only €12.50 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

the support act was Goodtime John.

€12.50 was pretty good value (especially compared with the rip-off prices of other MCD gigs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Wish I lived in dublin for things like that.

Advertisement