Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD 1.4 to hot ?

• 21-07-2001 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats the normal temperature for these chips.Ive just built a system with one in using a copper based fan and under a little pressure ie running dune3 (or whatever its called) for 10 mins i get a temp of about 59/60 which i reckon is a wee bit hot standing idol in windows reads about 49.I tried AMD site but just ended up going around in circles.

Stone biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i was told that an AMD 1.4 without a fan goes china after 5 seconds.

and yes your chip is far too hot but u knew that already.

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

cheers for that comment chernobyl.

Stone, it depends on your case cooling as well. The temps should be more around 52-53 under full load, but if you have crap case cooling I wouldn't be surprised to see 60, even with a good heatsink and fan. Which one are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Coolercase_Range_34.html

3th one down the Storm that is what i have great for keeping it cool but you want to have it in a other room as the noise it makes is loud.

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Ok seem to have more under control im using a speeze copper based hs/fan it abit of a hydrid half aluminium with a wacking great strip of copper on the bottom.Case is an old gateway tower (what a frigging nightmare).What i did in the end was place a light plastic case fan directly over said hs/fan (beleive it or not superglued to the underneith of the psu)Fear not im watchin to see if it falls off smile.gifits now running at 44c in windows im just putting abit of pressure on it as i type this ill let you know in about 10 mins smile.gif ***BANG**** na just kidding smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As a guide amd 1.2:

FOP38 - 43 max
    Thermalright SK6 - 45 (And much quieter than the 38).

Nothing extreme case cooling wise. A 5.25 bay double exhaust fan, exhaust blower over the cpu, 40mm 18cfm intake fan at an extra serial slot between the cpu and vidcard.

• Advertisement

Ok under pressure its at about 53 which is abit better still not great.So any other ideas on the best hs/fan for these little firestarters would be great.Creed i have a 1ghz a quick glance at me via H/W tells me its running at 24c and usaly about 30 when i overclock it to 1.2 and that is being cooled by a fob38 earbleeder smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Stonemason u definetly need better heatsink and fan..
    i have an athlon 1ghz -(overclocked) and it runs at 30c idle and about 40c when it is active (gaming or whatever)

What is now was once only imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stonemason:
    Ok under pressure its at about 53 which is abit better still not great.So any other ideas on the best hs/fan for these little firestarters would be great.Creed i have a 1ghz a quick glance at me via H/W tells me its running at 24c and usaly about 30 when i overclock it to 1.2 and that is being cooled by a fob38 earbleeder smile.gif.

Stone biggrin.gif
    </font>

Hey stone, I had this problem with my new 1.4 tbird, to sort it out I got a thermoengine from ocuk and the thing works at 46c full load @ 1.54GHz and that's ut for 4 or more hours. It was slightly hotter but I put a new more powerful fan on it.

BTW. my temps before the thermoengine were 54c full load until it died, it wouldn't even work at default speed.

Hope this helps.

PS. It's actually not an earbleeder either smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Yurmasyurda (edited 21-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/socketa_coolers.htm

theres a comparison of the different fans; the thermoengine comes out on top in nearly all the areas they tested it (idle/load temp, loudness, ease of installation etc.). It performed a lot better with the Delta fan installed but this made it a little bit noisier.

Also, the overclocking store have some Evercool fans in stock, these are case fans that are extremely quiet whilst performing very well (just ordered some myself). http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/

A combination of the above should sort out your cooling problems smile.gif

Cheers Yurmasyurda ill check that hs/fan out
    i would definately like it to be running abit cooler.

Stone biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement