Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

it's arrived

• 29-05-2002 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Lovely new ad. Only just noticed it now. Seems a bit odd. It was doing lovely mouse action there a few minutes ago, now it's just a blank white. When it was doing it's mousey thing though, the drop down menu's were hidden behind it and if i clicked on one, it went to the ad.

Gav

[edit] sorry yeah. running ie6 on win2000 [/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

can yo umake that really big, and put it over the ireland offline forum?
    i mean they may object, but due to thte fact that i have dsl and cable for a combined cost of 45 quid a month, im not too bothered.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yeah i have both Opera and IE 5.5 and the menu gets hidden behind the add in both.. apart from that its not so bad... and if it brings money to the boards.. fair play...

looks like its sorted by moving the menu below the ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i have yet to see this ad. where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

no add here
    win 95 ie 5.0
    dont think there any ad stopoping software here

• Advertisement

At the moment its in the top right corner above your userCP, register, calender etc.. buttons.

Refresh and see if it appears?

hmmm its gone.. now the boards one is there... interesting.. must be working on the glitches... was there and working.. i clicked it to see if they changed the prices.. small chance.. ah well

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes its only there in the cloud skin for the moment.

We're testing it alright.
    Personally I think its a scream that Eircom are funding their bitter enemies the IOFFL's discussion forums (in a round about way).

Anyway, its a free world and they are free to try and convince us that their product is worth buying.

And to pay us cash.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Tom's sold his soul to the devil!

turned on cloud scheme to see the ads. kúdos to admins for keeping them tidy up there. i dont see a problem with them at all. kúdos.

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Looks nice to me...
    In the cafe right now, and Boards seemed to be having a slight problem loading - Blamed it on the bugger behind me downloading mp3's but now I can blame you lot for forgetting to get the spanner out of the works...

Anyhow, problems gone and all is well - looks quite dandy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by DeVore

I think its a scream that Eircom are funding their bitter enemies the IOFFL's discussion forums (in a round about way).

I wonder if they knew it was going to happen? You should change it so the flash ad allows you to shoot the mouse as it goes by :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i think ya should put the nav above the banner ad and the boards.ie logo. I just prefere the look and feel of having the nav at the very very top of the page.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the problem then (as highlighted) is that the navigation is obscured by the flash layer...

I kinda like it the way it is anyway.

DeV.

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

stickin this in the flash would make the menu go over it, can't remember if it works in other browsers other than IE tho.

omg. That may be the first time ever a user has complained about something, had it explained and then suggested a different solution.

I'm going to have to lie down.

Well, now.... there are a few things we have to do (the ad is coming from Online.ie and they get it from Double Click) so we might have to ask them to do this but its worth a shot because then we can put the nav back on top and show ads when we need to and dont when we dont have any to show.

Neat. Um, way to go Gideon :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

By the way, the boards.ie ad opens a new view of www.boards.ie IN THE IFRAME.

Perhaps boards could have a no-ads subscription service sometime?

yeah we noticed that but since you are already on Boards we dont really mind, its just a place holder to make up the other 9 page impressions out of 10 before showing the ad again.

(yes we tried a transparent gif but the iframe code messed it up...)

Yes we hope to have the sign up up in the next month or two, then we will have skins available which will not carry the ad code.

anyway, this will gone in about 3 weeks.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

looks nice will take a bit of getting used to but hey we will live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

(yes we tried a transparent gif but the iframe code messed it up...)

Use a blank webpage.

adam

• Advertisement

and set it to what colour? Black for the Cloud skin? White for the default one? Blue for Krpytonian?

Didnt think of that did you Mr smartypants :)

(we're not totally thick here :) )

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll leave it to Cloud to embarrass and degrade your lack of skillz DeV...

adam

[Actually I won't, on the fairly reasonable assumption that my cries of "I told you so" will be lambasted later: You can pull the background colour for the skin and add it to the QUERY_STRING in the URL for the IFRAME. You can then set the background colour using Javascript (location.search) in the IFRAME. Or PHP, but Javascript would be less processor intensive.

<adam blows a raspberry at DeV>

heh]

i see that it's now in my prefered style set kryptonian. i prefer the menu below the ad btw. nice work admins. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...if I understand this correctly, we've got this situation; either we go with:

nav below flash: working fine = zero effort required
    nav above flash: problematic because flash layer appears above the DHTML one the menu is using. Requires effort on the part of multiple people to get working.

Where's the problem here? What's wrong with the nav being below the ad? It's still above the posts, so why not just leave it alone if it works and the other solution is more hassle? :confused:

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Heh, just had a thought.

Eircom can now have a slogan that runs something like "The Eircom rat is a proud supporter of IrelandOffline - supporting the campaign for cheaper Internet access"

NOOOOOOO
    :D

I suppose I could change my email sig to include: "IrelandOffline's forum is partly supported by the Mouse"

what about "Eircom inadvertently do the right thing?"

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

pull a homer - Do something dumb like fall, and then do something like find a dime on the floor because of your fall.

ex. After he fell, he found a dime he said "I pulled a homer".

that's damn funny, quick to the humour board! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hardly even noticed it! just on turn of the roller ball and it's gone anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

hosts.jpg

*Ahem*

Add the line
    127.0.0.1 adserver.digiserve.ie
    to c:\winnt\system32\drivers\hosts
    No more add :)

*Ahem*

Advertisement