Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new system help

Options
  • 29-05-2002 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK just built me a new box... all parts from www.komplett.ie the rest taken from my old Athlon 650.

Got an Asus AV7333 with raid etc... Athlon XP 2100, 512 DDR ram and a new Chieftach case (Black) with 340watt psu.

a few things... firstly heat... i will get some more fans but the psu apart from being very damn loud gets very hot transferring to the top of case. The mbd temp gets to about 30c but cpu was up to 65c last night and all i was doing was installing drivers etc in win2k which incidently is freezing on me and prompted me to check the temp... anyway i opened side panel and the window beside it and it went down to about 50c after a few mins.. so what im after is advice on cooling this down and also is that normal for the psu to get so hot? Someone said yes they do but i want more info..

Also anyone know of any problems with win2k and raid on a board like this.. seems to only lock up when its accessing one of the drives and installing something etc... both hard disks are on a spereate cable and controller and both set as master. I did not configure raid i just let it pick it up itself so as not to wipe the existing data.

Have 98 which i did not reinstall after moving drives across (i know i should) but it works fine with the exception of deleting certain things it seems to lock explorer at the end of deleting.. end task and its fine and files are gone! Anyone hear of it before? Apart from these little things which will probably be sorted by a good reload and sing XP instead of 2k (dont like 2k) the system is fine apart from the heat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Saruman:

It would be useful to know what your PSU is supplying to see what the problem is with heat; also, how hot is the air it's sucking in to cool itself to begin with, and are the fan(s) in it working?

On the subject of operating systems, I originally installed '98 on my home rig (Duron 800@1000, 512MB PC150, yadda yadda) when I built it last year; it practically drove me to tears, drink, etc. (corrupt registries, random reboots, other stuff I can't remember)Switched to Win2K/NTFS and it's practically uncrashable, and (for reasons I can't explain) the CPU seems to be ~5 degrees cooler on average in MBM...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

Erm...I might be reading this incorrectly but if you have transplanted a Win98 install onto a different CPU then you will encounter all kinds of fun. OS's (particularly MS OS's) get a little upset when things like the front side bus/Cache/chipset/power mgmt etc change on them.
    A rebuild is good idea[tm]

On the heat front, I know this sounds silly but......
    have you the fan's in the right way round? I only ask because I made this mistake a couple of years ago leading to a system overheating.......
    It may not be possible to make this mistake with your gear but its worth checking.

BogoBot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh yes i know all about the os problems... i just did not bother with 98.. however i did a fresh install if win2k and had those problems there too with freezing and so on... anyay 98 worked better but had that problem when i deleted stuff... anyway i know the cause of it... cpu i reckon was a bit off.. it fried there last night on me.. gave me one final lockup... it had been running at a temp of 50c or so... and mobo was about 30c

What annoys me apart from it being new is that the asus board i got with it AV7333 is suppsed to have thermal protection... in other words if the cpu did get too hot (which it did not unless you think 50c is too hot!) it should turn off the system... in fact in theory you are supposed to be able to power up system without HSF and not have it burn out.. but i had it running...

as for the psu heat i dont think that had anything to do with it.. i guess it just runs pretty hot.. anyway feic it.. will return cpu for a replacement.

BTW here is a link to my case (with psu) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_ATX_Cases_35.html
    Its the Chieftech Scorpio TX-10BD (CA-001-CT) with a 340W Antec PSU - approved by AMD

As for fans the wrong way? no not possible.. though if you look at case specs there are lots of fan holders so when i get my new cpu im adding more fans.. even in the hard drive bays!

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I presume you've got the latest 4-in-1's (4.37 Final, 4.39 Beta) and have scoured http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp?l1=1&l2=10&l3=18&mid=1 for updates?

Nice case by the way...
    Gadget

Advertisement