Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless lan question

• 29-05-2002 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

right here's my problem:

I want to set up a wireless lan between two houses (A and B) they are a good 500metres apart and there isn't really a line of sight between them. House A has the adsl connection and a laptop with a airport card and house B has one pc with a standard network card. I want to share the internet from A to B.

Wots is the best (ie cheapest solution) to get these two houses connected?

I considered using a cisco access point at A with a antenna and a cisco wireless pci card with antenna pluged into it at B, thoughts?

Jelv

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Well whats is it if it isnt line of sight...?? :)

The cisco stuff is good but very expensive.... You would probably (cant be sure) be able to use 2 cards with 2 Omni-directional antena attached. Wiht the Omni-Directiona antena u can recive "bouced" signals etc... you may not get the full 11 mbs conection... Problem with wireless is u dont really know till u try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

yeah, I meant one house is at the bottom of a hill and the other is at the top. So you figure omni antennas over yagi?

I am not concerned about the speed, even 1mbs would be fine, just need the connection.

well i reckoned there was a few obsticles in the way... hight is good.... being over the crest is very bad..... with the Omni ones u can granb signal form any where so if it bounces around and comes in fom the side that ok. The arnt as good for range as the directional ones though.... like i said depends a lot on ure own situation...maybe a directional beam from the hight (assuming there is general line of sight) witht he omni at the other end (lower down and can grab the bounce of local objects)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get two parabolic Directionals, 2 Lucent orinoco cards (or any card with a connector for an external antennae), a pigtail (thing for hooking low-loss cale to wireless network card), low-loww cable, mounting kit and you should be sorted.
    Face the two antennas directly into each other and you should be sound. Pings of >5ms, 11Mbps bandwidth.

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Get two parabolic Directionals, 2 Lucent orinoco cards (or any card with a connector for an external antennae), a pigtail (thing for hooking low-loss cale to wireless network card), low-loww cable, mounting kit and you should be sorted.
    Face the two antennas directly into each other and you should be sound. Pings of >5ms, 11Mbps bandwidth.

Thasts garunteed to work perfectly... with absolute LOS... which he might not have... I live in the path of a dirty great drrectional beam (taks to another site about 3-4 km away) but i cant pick it up with a Lucent orinoco and a parabolic directional because there are buildings around me...

I can pick it up fine with with the Omni...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

aye I think I go for the omni- antennas, should be fine.

Only snatch is the house with adsl connection is the bottom of the hill. So the access point/router will be there, with adsl rj45 plugged straight into it.

But my pci wireless card with an omni-antenna shouldn't have any bother pickin up the access point espically if there is a antenna on the access point...

all u can do is try anyway :)

hmmmm broadcasting free net access to anyone with a WLAN card very generous of ya

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hi Jelvon,

I have tried in vain to do something similar over only 160 metres.....

With 2 15dbi Parabolic dishes and the rest of the kit, we have failed to create a link which was LOS but had rows rows of tall heavy trees in the way....

802.11b HATES not have 99% LOS....yes pings are lovely and low and all that..but you need to make connection first....

Advise...dont go splashing out and buying equipment....get some on trial first and try it out...

James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Remember thou ...

Set the cards for;

Ad-hoc mode
    Same wireless Group
    Same primary/alternate channels
    kiss cards before inserting in laptop
    long prayer with a few amens

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    Hi Jelvon,

I have tried in vain to do something similar over only 160 metres.....

With 2 15dbi Parabolic dishes and the rest of the kit, we have failed to create a link which was LOS but had rows rows of tall heavy trees in the way....

802.11b HATES not have 99% LOS....yes pings are lovely and low and all that..but you need to make connection first....

Advise...dont go splashing out and buying equipment....get some on trial first and try it out...

James.

In fairness rows of heavey trees in the way dosnt really add up to LOS.... u can ither see the other side or u cant... water in the leaves and trunks will absorbe radio signals so im not surpried u didnt get a link......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

just wonderin if its legal to network up a neighbout hood something like above i guess and um charge for people connecting through your comp and then through a fast connection you've rented for personal use?! Can't see how it would not be legal cos your renting it for ur own use and if u wanna share it then should be okay, yes?

The wireing (or wirelessing as the case may be) is leagle as long as u stick to certain guide lines (u can only output X amount of watts but its somthing like 15 or 20 wich is loads) as for sharing out a net conection... u may find that ure terms and conditions that u sign for ure high speed conection prohibit u from selling it on (or even sharing it if they were really ****ty) where as other high speed conections are legit to sell on depends on the company and service id say

Generally its going to happen, cutting the riduclas cost of bandwith by spliting the cost is a geat idea.. My self and others have been looking at it in concept for a while now.... one hight point to act as a hub/AP and ure sorted problem is the cost of the equipment and as this thread shows nothing is certain when it comes to wireless so you could be wasting your money... also the standards are a bit of a moving target (ie a, b and g) cisco are the only AP's iv seen which can support a and another standard at the same time and they are very expensive bits of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Gideon
    just wonderin if its legal to network up a neighbout hood something like above i guess and um charge for people connecting through your comp and then through a fast connection you've rented for personal use?! Can't see how it would not be legal cos your renting it for ur own use and if u wanna share it then should be okay, yes?

I think that I read somewhere in the ODTR rules that reselling the link over wireless would require a telco licence.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement