Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how many of you are running the Cloud skin?

• 29-05-2002 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Not many if the lack of reaction here is anything to go by. So if you're not, change to the Cloud skin in "usercp > edit options > style set", and come back. Now widdle yourself laughing.

They should really open a laundrette division:

"Eircom. We really know how to take you to the cleaners."

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I've been using the cloud skin since i signed up for these boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Nice...... Don't know how I missed that setting in the usercp :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i dont use the cloud skin, but i switched just to see the ad and piss myself at eircom funding our board :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok let me explain before I'm lynched. :)

firstly we asked if anyone objected.

secondly we think its funny that Eircom are funding your ongoing open discussion about them. I mean you HAVE to see the irony in that, right?!

thirdly, this is a free world and they are free to spend cash with us to try and convince you all that they really are snuggle-bunnies with a great product.

fourthly you are free to remain cynical. :)

fifthly, they are giving us cash for a 10 day run. I like cash almost as much as I like cake.

personally (and this entire post is as a USER of boards rather then an admin) I think its a howl to see them supporting us. This ad will pay for the next 3 entire months of Boards.ie's existance.

Might as well get SOMETHING back from them eh!

DeV.

I'm finding it quite funny that no matter how many times I hit refresh, or load a new page, I still only see the spin or the boards ads :D:D

[edit:] Just got one there after about 30 page impressions. That's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where's the ad?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the ad only comes up once in every ten refreshes at the moment and I think its random too. (hence pressing refresh 10 times wont necessarily show it to you).

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oh, I'm not complaining DeV, I saw the thread in Admin. As long as they don't try to affect the "editorial policy", like they so obviously did on the other sites they ran ads on, I think it's great. I can just see the Eircom marketroids slapping themselves on the backs. The big muffins. :)

Actually, the irony is stunning, when you consider that they say they're "only going to market to businesses". Talk about the right hand and the left hand never having met! :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

hehe, thats funny.

HELLO EIRCOM!

(does this now mean that we are watching eircom watch us watching eircom?)

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oh, I'm not complaining DeV, I saw the thread in Admin. As long as they don't try to affect the "editorial policy", like they so obviously did on the other sites they ran ads on, I think it's great.

<snip>

adam

ahahah, oh oh ahahHAHAHAHAHAH

<eircom> we want you to cut stuff that is anti-eircom
    <us> that would be most of our site

or

<eircom> we want you to cut stuff that is anti-eircom
    <us> NOE! IOFFL R TEH W1N!!
    <eircom> ...what?

I mean, I dont like eircom personally and they have to be aware that they are generally despised all round (name me a telco that isnt) so I cant imagine they are looking to change the hardcore peoples minds, they just want to blast all the people who visit Boards with info. Fine by me, I even went to the site to see what they were saying about ADSL. Which I guess is the point.

considering I'm willing to go to jail for freedom of speech, a lousy couple of quid isnt going to make me change our approach...

To be fair I cant even imagine them trying it on...
    (though they did ring us to try and find out who was behind the Errorcom site...). Nah, they arent that dumb. Its just an add and its info I wanted to see so it must be targetted reasonably well...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

have to admit i was a bit take aback at first but as ye said if it'll pay for boards.ie for a while and all the irony lark then why not.

Heck, i'd might even click on it to help boost the traffic directed to it from here, but as long as it only stays as a banner!! If ye put up the same add they had on the Irish Times Site (or was it the Irish Independent site?) with that bloody mouse going accross the screen, there'll be trouble!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

After reading Adam's post, I decided to give it a run... One word "Eeek!!!"

Reverted back to old Kryptonite scheme in 5 minutes ;)

It will be rolled out to all skins soon enough. but its about a 10 day run so it wont be long :)

Its not traffic dependant and we would NEVER have one of those god awful popups, popunders, or worse those Layer ads that take over the browser....

(though Regi suggested a pop under because it would be easier to ignore that way :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Actually, I suggested using a popup ad, cos it was easier than changing the style of the menu dropdowns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just looking at that little I-Stream ad and I noticed that it says "I-Stream.... Online Gaming.... Streaming Music and Videos...." Now, for a service that Eircom admit they are targeting businesses with, how many businesses will actually be worried about things like online gaming and streaming music, eh?

Once again, the Eircom marketing department makes a total and utter balls-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

Once again, the Eircom marketing department makes a total and utter balls-up!

wooo wooo wooo...gooooo teeeeam!
    hipidy skip, hipidy hop...tee hee.

its such a poxy flash movie too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ad-blocker is blocking it out - had to turn it off to watch the rat slink across the screen.

(Dev - you're not getting a pay-per-view payment are you? If you are, I'll check why it's being blocked - if you're getting a flat fee I won't bother)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I use the Cloud Skin. Nice and easy on the eyes :)

All my pop ups are off aswell...that rat would have bothered me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i dont quite believe this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am running the cloud skin

Its now in all skins. It'll be there for about 3 weeks I'd imagine.

Look at it this way, Eircom are sponsoring you to agitate against them. Kinda funny when you think about it.

If you feel incapable of maintaining your opinions in the face of this marketing onslaught you might want to take to your bed with vapors for a month or so :)

DeV.

I still dont quite believe this ... utter shoke, I cant believe you are letting eircom advertise in the heart of irelandoffline ??????? yes its ironic, but I did in no way expect you of all people, to let eircom advertise here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

I still dont quite believe this ... utter shoke, I cant believe you are letting eircom advertise in the heart of irelandoffline ??????? yes its ironic, but I did in no way expect you of all people, to let eircom advertise here

how else do you expect boards to pay for everything? money doesn't grow on trees. if they want to take eircoms money off them in exchange for a small ad then why not!

Well, firstly we asked the community if they wanted to take an ad and you could have objected on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.phps=&threadid=51094
    The vast majority were in favour of it.

Secondly, IOFFL dont pay us for this board (and we've never asked nor expected it) but someone has to and I feel entitled to take money for advertising to pay for the site.

Thirdly, I highly doubt any of you are weak willed enough that you suddenly feel impeded from airing your views about Eircom here as a result of this ad.

Fourthly, this ad goes accross all the forums, I doubt Eircom even thought about IOFFL when they booked it and for us to exclude IOFFL would have taken considerable work for us.

Fifthly to exclude Eircom from giving us cash simply because of who they are seems like censorship to me (not to mention cutting off our nose to spite our face).
    Did you ever stop to consider that since Eircom are a For Profit company, they might not be the enemy? I mean, I dont like them but my beef is with the people who put them in the position of power they are in.

*shrug*

I honestly dont see anything wrong with them advertising where they choose to, I mean its their perogative and I dont think that we (Boards.ie) should refuse them on the basis that some people here dislike them.

Soon you should have the option of signing up to Boards and NOT get ads by paying a voluntary yearly support fee, if it bothers you greatly. I mean, you cant say we cant take money from corporations and then expect everything for free...

I still think its funny :)

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ando, seriously, it's nothing. It's not harming anyone, and it's saving the lads who run Boards.ie three months worth of co-location fees. And there's a valid reason for Eircom to advertise here -- remember, this is where the people who want DSL hang out.

If you /really/ don't want to see the ads, if they're really, really getting on your nerves, just add '127.0.0.1 adserver.digiserve.ie' to the HOSTS file in your Windows directory, or download an ad blocker.

adam

ok, i understand. sorry bout that, its just was a bit of a supprise to me :eek:

I think I'll go back to the default skin :rolleyes:

Nope, sorry, the cloud skin was just the test. Its in all skins now.
    At least it means the impressions will fly faster....

Personally I never notice it really, as Smak says, its a roll of the mousewheel and its gone...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

ah jaysis lads I didnt realise that you can get "Super Fast E-mail" from Eircom.

What a service! It _must_ be good...

Originally posted by DeVore

Personally I never notice it really, as Smak says, its a roll of the mousewheel and its gone...

I think ive only seen it twice, the mouse wheel roll method is almost 97% effective folks!