Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RGB to VGA

• 05-07-2001 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

hey, i want to know has anyone got any idea of how to change the VGA signal coming out of the back of your monitor over to RGB i know a box can be got.....but where excactly can you get such a thing in ireland?

Farls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

what exactly do you want to do?
    (cos no vga signal comes from your monitor)

output video from your pc (i.e dvds/etc.) to a tv?
    or use your monitor as a tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You want a RedGreenBlue feed from you'r pc? Are you looking for SCART?
    As kali said, what exactly do you want to do?
    Interesting post (dabble in video capture myself), please post more info.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

ok, sorry it took ages to get back but, what im doing is this, putting the signal from my monitor onto a big screen through a projector, i hit problems tho!...What i thought was VGA connection on the projector turned out to be RGB and i had already got the cables for VGA 30 metres of it i might add!

the snagg is i need now to change the VGA over to RGB to fit the projector, there is a box to do this i know and have since ordered it but it will take weeks to get here!

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?...its a lovely operation anybody that is into this type of "dabbling" so to speak, i have a splitter box beside the monitor which splits the signal between the monitor and the projector, just need to get VGA male changed to RGB male!

and SCART isn't an option on this!

Farls

[This message has been edited by Farls (edited 10-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Hmm,

I've dabbled in this myself a little from messing around with progressive scan televisions, but I'm no expert so please correct whatever's wrong.

It depends on whether your projector accepts a non-interlaced/progressive scan signal or an interlaced one.

Does the RGB input have 5 BNC connectors or 3? I think 5 is the non-interlaced version (R,G,B, horiz. sync, vert. sync). 3 is interlaced (R,G,B).

If there are 5 connectors, you should be in luck - just match up the pin-outs (here):

http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/org/a/av/www/docs/VGApinouts.htm

of the vga port to the plugs. You should be able to buy anything you need at Maplin.

For 3 pin RGB, just ingore the Horizontal Sync and Vertical Sync outputs, and pray that the projector supports Sync On Green (They almost all do).

Hmm, re-reading this, I don't think that interlacing is the difference between the 5 and the 3 plug versions, but it shouldn't make any difference, anyway.

Hope that's useful (or even slightly accurate...)

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 10-07-2001).]

thanks mate,

very helpful actually, btw what is the best electronics store in Dublin? like a place where i can go to pick up all the little bits and pieces to solder at home on the cold winter evenings!

Farls

The right way, the wrong way and MY way!

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:

what is the best electronics store in Dublin? like a place where i can go to pick up all the little bits and pieces to solder at home on the cold winter evenings!
    </font>

I don't know what the best one would be, but Maplin just off of Henry Street (can't remember the name of the street they're on), would probably sell you all the bits you need

I guess all you're really after is a VGA cable (which you can cut open to separate out the wires you want), and a few BNC plugs. Not sure how durable it would be though wink.gif

Please let us know how you get on - I've never done this before myself, and I'd be curious to see the results.

Good luck!

No problems and thx again mate, i'll check that store out altho my mate runs an electronics company in Scotland and seems to have just the thing i need!

Farls

Sorry about bringing this up again, but i got the problem sorted...got a small box which you plug your VGA into and it has video out on the far side of it which is connected onto SCART and also has a monitor outpub so you can have picture on both your monitor and TV/Big screen.

Seeing as i was in Dublin yesterday (Ireland Offline meeting) i went into Maplin which is a VERY good store btw but they didn't actually do Female to Female VGA cable's , i was astounded by this and so was the man behind the counter!... just a quetions does anybody actually do them? i can't see why not when Male to Male is easily gotten.

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:
    ...got a small box which you plug your VGA into and it has video out on the far side of it which is connected onto SCART and also has a monitor outpub so you can have picture on both your monitor and TV/Big screen.</font>

pleeeease tell me where I can get one of them, I've been looking for one for ages and any shop I asked in they told me outright that you just can't do that. I knew they were wrong.

Jazz, as for the box i got my friend who runs an electronics store in Scotland to get one, if you want i will get him to get another one...

email me farls@iol.ie and i'll sort it out for you

Farls

• Advertisement

Nope i have the first one you mentioned which changes VGA to composite video or SVHS its made by a company called Askey and is called a Scan Converter if that helps at all.

Farls

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:
    pleeeease tell me where I can get one of them, I've been looking for one for ages and any shop I asked in they told me outright that you just can't do that. I knew they were wrong.
    </font>

Remember that there are two types of box available - one that actually converts VGA -> composite/S-Video. This is the one to go for If you want to hook the box up to a TV. You can pick them up in places like Compustore or Peats. The giveaway is usually that it has a Composite (Yellow plug) or S-Video output. They're about IEP100, and pretty easy to get hold of.

The other one just cross connects the wires in the VGA cable onto an RGB output. If you're hooking it up to a projector, or high end TV (Loewe Aconda or Metz Artos) go for the second one. They're not easy to get hold of, but nothing compares to them - the picture is absolutely astounding.

Only reason I mention this is that Farls is hooking up to a projector, and so may in fact be using the second type, which, of course, won't work on most low-end TVs.

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 21-07-2001).]

Advertisement