Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after failing ADSL line test ?

Options
  • 29-05-2002 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Last week I was informed that I'd failed the ADSL line test for some unspecified reason and today I received a letter from Eircom stating that my line wasn't suitable for ADSL. Is it worth getting a new line put in ? Has anybody failed their line test, got a new line in and then passed on the new line or will the same thing most likely happen with the new line ? I'd guess that the signal quality on the line I have is "reasonable" as I get a consistent connection at ~46K via modem.

Thanks,
    Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

It's generally dependent on how far you are from the exchange rather than anything else...how far are you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciaranius

I'm about 2 to 3 miles away from the Tallaght exchange. I was told by the Eircom sales rep. that others in my area have successfully passed the line test but that it didn't necessarily mean mine would ( And it didn't... )

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in the exact same situation as you, failed my line, they wont tell me why because they dont know why (pass or fail only)

I got a second line installed, that failed to. I now have isdn on the second line. I'm 3.2 Km away from my exchange

as far as eircom are concerned, I dont have a chance to getting adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Just had the ADSL install guy here in work to install ADSL. Initially the line passed but he just checked and now its failed, he couldn't get an ADSL signal from the exchange. He said the lines are so sensitive and there are so many reasons for them to fail, such as in bad weather wet or dry joints in the line can have an effect. He said that he would return the number to eircom as having a fault on it and they would would probably come out and fix the problem so that ADSL can work but he said if they didn't show up that we should give Eircom a ring and get them to test the line again and if it passes they would reschedule the install. But there's no guarantee that the rescheduled install would succeed! WTF!

Moral of the Story: If you believe you are within the required distance from the exchange and your line fails the check, ring again each week and get them to test it 'cos you never know it might just pass on one of those occasions.... I call it Pot F*cking Luck!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....Eircom Phonewatch

and complain endlessly when the alarm 'goes off' a 'lot' of the time because of the 'line'

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Im glad im not the only one who is failing line tests but when you are only 50-80 meters from the exchange and they cant tell you why it is failing I feel like screaming down the line at them!!! :mad:

Advertisement