Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dicky Power Button on Gateway Tower

• 29-05-2002 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Just looking for peoples opinions about the above. I have somehow managed to lodge my power button between the casing and plastic cover of my gateway box at home and am thoroughly frustrated as a result.

Short of taking every component in the box out one by one and hoping I can free the plastic cover with breaking it, should i just rip the plastic covering off and cut my loses ?

Or can some genius suggest an easy way to fix this crappiness :)

please ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

Remove both side panels and then you will have access to 2 plastic type levers at the top which will allow you to remove the front bezel then you can reposition the power button provided it isnt broken , if it is give Gateway tech a call and they will send you a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Remove both side panels and then you will have access to 2 plastic type levers at the top which will allow you to remove the front bezel then you can reposition the power button provided it isnt broken , if it is give Gateway tech a call and they will send you a new one.

as someone who used to work for gateway i find that incredibly funny.
    you obviously never heard that they shut up shop and left last year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Gaz

I also worked for Gateway (4 miserable years) so yes i am aware they shut up shop , but they still have Tech support based out in swords ... they have to honour there 3 year warrenties !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

you can use strong sticky tape and a wad of tissue or styrofoam to fix the button (if it's the type I'm thinking of). I've had the same problem with computers in work - customers push the button in too far, the plastic hinge snaps and the button gets stuck in behind the faceplate.

If you successfully fix it, remember in future that you only need quite a light touch on the button to switch the computer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Originally posted by Darth Homer

I've been having a look at this end of things before I replied and I can really understand which "levers" you are refering to. I had assumed you needed to do something like this to remove the frontal covering but I'm obviously missing the "nack" of removing it.

I have the box stripped down and all that remains is the frontal cover ( plastic ) I see that to the bottom of the box where the tower ends, there are two plastic levers kinda sitting on the metal casing if you will, but if I try to push them upwards to dislodge them I don't have much success, and keep thinking that I'm gonna crack the clips.

Am I even looking in the right place or should I be looking up top instead.

As with all of these casings I had thought there was a nack to removing the different parts and have gotten the rest stripped down but just can't seem to be able to find the "easy" way to remove the plastic front cover, and I know that you gateway boys would be well able to point me in the right direction, so this hasn't been a waisted post as I thought it would be :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Never mind... I found the levers you are refering to. And as it happens, if any of you care... I need a new power button or a blue tack work around.

Time to ring gateway support and wait on the line for about 45 mins. yeeppeee :(

Advertisement