Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celeron 850 Mhz overheating ???

• 22-07-2001 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right, I recently sold this fella an 850Mhz celeron, he was upgrading from a 600Mhz, he called me there a while ago and said that it had jumped for 32c-105c, kinda hot......so is it that the Fan is a bad one, it needs cooland compound or that the processor is faulty???

Help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

105c is outside the maximum safe temperature for the chip, either the heatsink and fan has fallen off the chip, or perhaps just the cpu fan has stopped working. Or maybe the heatsink is not mounted correctly. If the fan is bad, you will get high temps, but not THAT high. Get him to have a look at the machine, and to stop using it until he has it fixed. Its possible the temperature monitoring software is just misreporting the temperature as well. That can be checked by just seeing if the heatsink burns your fingers, or if you can't keep your fingers on it for more than a few seconds.

If the chip is running that hot, he is lucky it is still running. If it is strained, it will probably crash, and won't last long in its current state before expiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

similar experience with a "do-it-yourselfer" recently.

heatsink wasnt on evenly flat from either a bent metal bar or putting the damn thing in bass-ackwards.

my advice: do it for them if you can so there is no mistakes!

Advertisement