Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Zappa

Options
  • 29-05-2002 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

to whoever it was i was talking to about zappa, i bought apostrophe and it rocks serious ass. i love the way the songs mingle. i will never stop humming st alphonzo's pancake breakfast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Cool. One down and 70 odd to go. You have just started the very expenise hobby that is Fz. Not cos his cds are expensive but cos there are over 70 of them. I have under 40 at the moment and theres still lots i still wanna get. You can pick up some for £4.99(old money). apostrophe(') is good but not a great zappa album. Just be careful when you go to buy a zappa album make sure you know what you're getting, cos it could be classical, jazz, rock could be anything.

And whatever you do don't eat yellow snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-&#22

ok will do.

now i must go, go forth to eat those delicious pieces of corn compressed into very, very flat discs , then roasted into a crispy "flake". i will eat many of them, all piled on top of each other
    covered in delicious juices from inside a cow.

(my god has anyone ever noticed what milk actually is?
    ITS FLUIDS FROM A COW, PEOPLE!! FROM INSIDE A COW!!...........
    INSIDE!)

a.k.a. milk and i will eat this mixture using a "spoon-u-lar" object.
    and it will be great. because im hungry
    and i havent eaten breakfast yet.

see ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

well if you really wanna worry about what you put into your mouth, think blue cheese... i mean, what's cheese? it's a cow's body liquid gone to ****, right? and what's blue cheese? it's a cow's body liquid gone to **** and then gone mouldy.... eeeeeeeeeew! this is getting nicely zappaesque, btw... *g*

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Leila

The theme from Glenroe should be our national anthem
    Nice and jaunty
    In my humble opinion 'One size fits all ' is the best Zappa album
    Peaches en regalia off Hot Rats is possibly is the greatest instrumental of all time
    Dont you hate pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

how about rat tomago on sheik yerbouti?

Best drum and bass solo ever recorded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Zappa instrumentals!!! where do you start? There's so many. Peaches en regalia is great on "hot rats" but i prefer Don Prestons rendition on "live at filmore east 1971". My favorite is "The Gumbo Variations" has to be the greatest song writen for the Sax, jazz how it should be. You could listen to "hot rats" a million times and hear something different each time.

Zappa comes up with great names for his instrumentals heres "top 5" list And where they can be found.

The Eric Dolphy memorial barbecue (best band you never heard in your life)

Transylvania Boogie ( Chunga's Revenge)

G-Spot tornado (Strictly Genteel)

When yuppies go to hell (make a jazz noise here)

Watermellon in Easter hay (joes Garage)

I'm sure people have other favorites these are just of the top of my head.

well apostrophe was my first zappa album (i shed a tear) and i think im going for more.

talking about weird lyrics + songs, theres this "song" "written" by this guy john cage and its chance music. its called "4minutes 33 seconds" and its basically 4 minutes and 33 seconds of waiting and listening to your surroundings. its kinda crap, but in a way, its kinda good, you hear stuff that you'd normally ignore. its kinda crazy.
    but i hear it was performed in the national concert hall a while ago. weird or what. i mean, the concert hall is soundproofed so thered just be 4 mins 33 seconds of pure silence. and the funny thing is people wouldnt know what to expect before they hear it.
    i think its kinda one of those emporors new clothes things but hey, im all up for experimentation music-wise, seeing peoples reactions 'n' stuff.

Originally posted by NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-Þ
    well apostrophe was my first zappa album (i shed a tear) and i think im going for more.

talking about weird lyrics + songs, theres this "song" "written" by this guy john cage and its chance music. its called "4minutes 33 seconds" and its basically 4 minutes and 33 seconds of waiting and listening to your surroundings. its kinda crap, but in a way, its kinda good, you hear stuff that you'd normally ignore. its kinda crazy.
    but i hear it was performed in the national concert hall a while ago. weird or what. i mean, the concert hall is soundproofed so thered just be 4 mins 33 seconds of pure silence. and the funny thing is people wouldnt know what to expect before they hear it.
    i think its kinda one of those emporors new clothes things but hey, im all up for experimentation music-wise, seeing peoples reactions 'n' stuff.

that's kinds weird that that was performed, innit?! cos really, as far as i can see it 4 minutes 33 second could have only ever been a once off when it was first done in the 1960s, in that you'd expect the punchline to be passed round rather soon after the first performance. don't nch goers check out the background of the programme before they go? or was it a surprise performance?

maybe theres not supposed to be a punchline. maybe its a serious "piece". anyhoo, yeah its weird that it was performed. maybe it was a surprise performance i dont know. but i would have loved to be there atnd see all the confused people

Originally posted by NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-Þ
    maybe theres not supposed to be a punchline. maybe its a serious "piece". anyhoo, yeah its weird that it was performed. maybe it was a surprise performance i dont know. but i would have loved to be there atnd see all the confused people

actually i'm quite sure it's serious. i guess the word punchline was a bit misapplied there. let's say i'd have expected the audience to know what it's about alright?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Singleton

Check out Joe's Garage Part 1 - mind blowing stuff.

will do, but dont forget, JUICES.FROM THE IN----SIDE OF A COW. THATS WHAT IT REALLY IS

Advertisement