Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One mile limit!?! What?

Options
  • 29-05-2002 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

I was talking to an eircom rep. on Monday - I told him I was about 1.5km from the exchange (and that was overestimating I believe - more 1.3) anyway, he said "Ah yes, well the limit is one mile, which is less than 1.5 km"

He also repeated himself again in a latter point of the conversation - can someone confirm this? I always thought it was more than one mile...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 =BoA=Raider

To the best of my knowledge its over a mile. I think when I rang eircom I was told it was about 5km (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm still not sure even if you are under the distance required that you will pass the test. It also depends on the quality of the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

yeh come on NoelRock you gotta stay in within limits. I mean u can't be over 1.5km. You should know that.

Leave eircom alone to sort out their brilliant service :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Even if your exchange has been upgraded to ADSL,the installation site cannot be more than 3.5km from the exchange.

Eircon will also be introducing another variation called RADSL which in effect extends the reach from 3.5km to 5.5km,while line noise can now be as high as 55db but your upstream speed will lower as a result in steps of 32kbits/sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Carbsy where did you hear they would install RADSL? Ive never seen them say they would. In fact in another thread they are reported as saying they wouldnt be upgrading to it any time soon.

Dustaz,

I was merely stating that they would be introducing it.I know it probably wont be anytime soon...

Just wanted to give the lads some hope like ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Just the facts, ma'am."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Jeez, there's an Eircom engineering place about 0.2/0.3km away from here - I wanna go there someday and bother everybody about adsl...

It's kind of like my own religious pilgrimage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Jeez, there's an Eircom engineering place about 0.2/0.3km away from here - I wanna go there someday and bother everybody about adsl...

It's kind of like my own religious pilgrimage.

Take a shotgun with you whilst you're at it ;)

/note ./. I am slightly drunk as I write thsi ..... no doubt my spellingt can attribute tio that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by carbsy
    Eircon will also be introducing another variation called RADSL .

No their not, where is your info coming from?

I went to the DSL dealer launch and asked Paul robinson from eircom about Radsl. He said there was no chance of eircom introducing radsl. Radsl is totally different, like sdsl or vdsl.. he said eircom is consentrating on adsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Oh, lest not forget that a mile is 1.61 kilometers, not less than 1.5 as that useless eircom rep said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

So does anyone know for sure what the max distance is, given that your line would otherwise be OK?

I just got an email back from eircom stating that my line failed the test :( , but the exchange is not that far away. I'm not sure the exact distance, but I'm going to check it out this weekend in the car ;)

What are my options? Can I get a retest? Or is that it? If/when Esat get to roll it out here in Dublin, will I have the same problem? Should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and get so-called-hi-speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I've just applied for eircom dsl at my parents address...it should be interesting to see if I fail the line test as I was an Esat DSL Trialist there last October and had a 1mb down 256 up connection. The esat test engineer said that my line was the best test results he had seen so far on the Esat trials. I live right beside the exchange so Eircon better have a valid excuse for line failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

at best it’s just a guess about 3.5K from the exchange being the limit, but
    you need 3.5K of good quality copper phone line.
    You might be less than 3K as the crow fly’s to the exchange but more that That when you follow the phone line.
    Plus the 3.5K is just a guide, and if there is bad copper or if they have Your housing estate could have 30 houses on a dax box (the bigger one’s can be used for splitting lines for more that one house) then that’s sitting in-between you and the exchange so without getting them to install a new line with as short a route as possible from the exchange too you there’s not much you can do.

Originally posted by ando

No their not, where is your info coming from?

I went to the DSL dealer launch and asked Paul robinson from eircom about Radsl. He said there was no chance of eircom introducing radsl. Radsl is totally different, like sdsl or vdsl.. he said eircom is consentrating on adsl

I read that in a post on the report from that very DSL Dealer launch where RADSL was mentioned.They have to introduce it at some stage for people that simply are not close enough or have poor quality lines.Obviously no date has been mentioned etc.

Advertisement