Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits.....

Options
  • 29-05-2002 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

I(+ex housemates)in the process of getting some of our deposits back from our previous house. One question I have does the Landlord have to provide Refuse Disposal facilities **free of charge** or can they, as ours is planning on doing subtracting the rubbish collection fees for the year from our deposit? Is the landlord allowed to do this? As my current understanding is that it is their obligation to provide em without charging us :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sounds like rubbish. Your deposit is your deposit. If your landlord wanted to charge you for the rubbish he should have consulted you about it or even sneakily added it on to your rent!

As to the legalities I'm not sure.

One thing though - are you applying for rent relief? If you pay income tax you are entitled to tax back on renting accomodation most likely. This means that the landlord has to declare his income from the renting. You will need his PPS number etc. I got tax relief for this year and it came to €200! go here for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends on what your lease says. The likely situation is that you are responsible for them as you are the waste creator. Most leases will stipulate that you pay all the bills.

If you individually rented from the landlord you could argue that you won't accept the charge as he is "interfering" in the domestic situation.

If the rent is "bills included" you could argue that you won't accept the charge is his responsibility.

At most the landlord should only charge you for the period you occupied the premises.

Use the fact that he is applying the charge late as another reason.

You are also entitled to tax relief on local authority service charges, so you should get teh receipt from the council not the landlord (how would write it off against his tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Your deposit should only be used to cover the cost of mallicious (spelling)damage caused by you to the property.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Lump
    Your deposit should only be used to cover the cost of mallicious (spelling)damage caused by you to the property.
    Well many leases will have clauses including ones making sure you pay off the bills, but it depends on what the lease says. On the flips side, wear and tear should not be charged by the landlord (e.g. door no longer works on 10 year old microwave).

Advertisement