Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netsystem

Options
  • 29-05-2002 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Somebody mentioned in a thread below about this service http://www.netsystem.com/eng/index.htm

Does anybody have any experience of this ?
    It mentions the use of a digital satellite dish pointed in a certain direction, does the sky dish normally point in this direction ??

I had a look and it would appear that €505 all in for a year including a special modem, gets you a 350kps connection, going up to 1MBps between 2am and 9am ?

Surely this is a good deal, no ?? :eek:

I'll be ordering this tomorrow if I like the sounds of any replies I get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

The Sky minidish points in a different direction than where the Netsystem dish needs to point.

I'll be ordering this once the equipment arrives (next two weeks).

From people i've talked to that use it, they have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have IOL Nolimits so i'll use it offpeak and it works out a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

sorry to burst your bubble m8,but its a 1-way system, meaning you'd be paying eircom at the same time..

*has looked at all the alternatives*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

I'm on "No Limits" still too so its a superb off peak option for us lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

sorry to burst your bubble m8,but its a 1-way system, meaning you'd be paying eircom at the same time..

Yeah, I understand this, but I was hoping I'd be able to use my work dial in number (1800-xxxxxxx, which I must say is a godsend, although our firewall blocks any file sharing situations á lá e.g. audiogalaxy :mad: ) in any case I don't mind the eircom route.

So, I suppose the europe online option doesn't use the same sky dish either, damn :mad: ?

I think I may invest in another dish anyway and give one of them a go, there's bound to be a few for sale around.

Go with netsystem its by far the best of the two services, having no cap etc.

AFAIK, EON uses the same astra satellite as Netsystem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

yeah!
    if we could all combine this with a flat rate dial up
    say €20 a month it would be X Sell ent! :D
    Heres a question!:?

People got cut off NOLIMITs because of hi bandwidth usage especialy on downloads.

if people are using netsystem in combination with dial up
    Would this not dramicaly reduce the over head on the NoLimits side? since all download is comming from the satalite.

if yes.. then maybe esat could be prepared to combine the 2??
    Any one confirm any of this?? (just an idea?) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    yeah!
    if we could all combine this with a flat rate dial up
    say €20 a month it would be X Sell ent! :D
    Heres a question!:?

People got cut off NOLIMITs because of hi bandwidth usage especialy on downloads.

if people are using netsystem in combination with dial up
    Would this not dramicaly reduce the over head on the NoLimits side? since all download is comming from the satalite.
    It wasn't bandwidth usage it was lack of a flat-rate wholesale deal between Eircom and Esat that was the cause of the people getting cut off.

Bandwidth on a 56k line is not a major issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

the ammount of incorect facts that ppl post is getting worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have netstem.. must say though i have not had time to use it.. my cpu died last night (new athlon 2100XP) But from when i tried it on monday it was fast... usual speed on download was 30-40kbs and once i got 250kbs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Let me clear up a few things for someone of you ...

Your sky minidish will not do, it is pointed in the wrong direction. Either move the dish and loose sky or do what i did and buy a second dish.

People seem to moan alot that you still have to pay for your eircom phone bill, yes this is true but if you are going to be online anyway , why not spend the 30-40 euro a month and surf/download at a descent speed ? What other options have you ?

Also this service is available nationwide, so if you live in the bog arse of no where and have a phone line , you are sorted !

Personnaly i am using Europe onlines sky booster. Using that with there file fetch it seems a better option , for those that dont know this means i can have upto 700mb sent to me offline (ie: no phone bill) at 2mbps , thats around an hour for over 500meg !! And when i am online i can surf at 768kbps (20hr cap)

As a test i downloaded a 200mb file (last episode of friends ...yes im sad) i got a speed of 90kb ...so it took 35mins .

So basically what im saying is this is a great service to use until we get more reasonably priced flat-rate broadband service.

• Advertisement

I had a look and it would appear that €505 all in for a year including a special modem, gets you a 350kps connection, going up to 1MBps between 2am and 9am ?

Nope! its €450 =€37.50 per month
    for 1 years subscribtion and 1MBps from 2am to 9am
    (do the math again) :D

That's italian time.. here it is 1am to 8am.

Duh! :D

Any ways... it works quite well..
    i was listening to some streaming audio in musicmatch radio
    and no Hic cups ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

how is it for playing games? obviously not hosting since theres no upstream but, just for connecting to servers? the ping would be good right?

Pings range from 500-1000 usually so you can't play online games.

What i'm going to do is just use my 56K connection for games...

They have just put up a new promotion and the price is now.
    €350 per years including the 1mb download
    Thats €100 saving on the previoius price = €29.00 per month or €6.75 per week :D

offer untill june 20th

Excellent (Mr Burns voice)

It's €360 actually :) but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

so whats the total cost before setting paying the monthly sub fee? How much for sat and pci card for it and is there anyone to stick it on ur roof pointing in the right direction. I woulnd't have a clue where or how to align the thing. For either company.

Gid.

Well, i'm still looking for a place to buy a dish from, can't find anywhere in Ireland.
    The people i've rang on buyandsell already sold theirs, could always order from the UK but the dish would cost around £40 and then another £30 or so postage.

I have already bought a DVB Card off ebay.co.uk for €60 inc postage. It's called the SkyStar2 and it's the best for receiving data.

Coxial cable RG-6, you need that to connect up the dish to the dvb card, thats not that really that expensive, could be bought from a local TV shop.

You may need a professional to install it depending on how high you need the dish, but if you can see East 19.2 clearly at ground height then stick it in the garden otherwise you could get a wallmount.
    With a compos and protractor it's pretty easy, just trial and error.

That's it really.

BTW, if anyone knows where to buy a dish in Ireland let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

cheers, think i'll give this a go over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yea it sounds pretty good tbh, I think i'll give it a go. The only thing that puts me off is the installation of the dish. And i'm not too sure how exactly i'd be surfing in conjunction with my isdn... do you have to use a separate program for downloading files with it ? can you view websites with it etc... or only files.

The way you use it is:

You connect to whatever phone line connection you have first, be it 56K or ISDN it doesn't matter.
    Once you're connection you then connect to Netsystem.

You can basically use anything, webpages, ftps, download managers, file search programs like kazaa, morpheus etc.

It uses your 56k or ISDN upload to send data.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Shamo
    I have already bought a DVB Card off ebay.co.uk for €60 inc postage. It's called the SkyStar2 and it's the best for receiving data.

The Skystar2 card is the one ya get from Europe Online. I got it with my EON sub which was €59 including EON (multicast downloading) usage until October 15. Dunno what happens the service after then. Must take a wee peek at netsystem. Whats the chances of the company closing like some others that tried same idea?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

after that u can pay €15 a month or stop using it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It for sure works with ISDN?

This sounds like the perfect solution for me...keeping my isdn for gaming...and Net system for downloading!

Is there anyone here that would be interested in coming out to set it up for me :) Ill pay top dollar / or €€€ even! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by irishbyte

Whats the chances of the company closing like some others that tried same idea?:confused:

Unlikely, as far as i know they are the largest ISP in Italy and not some little starup trying to make a name for themselves.

as for ISDN as far as i know it does... go to www.broadbandsatellite.co.uk and there is a forum there. Users of Netsystem according to these posts can use it with ISDN. Dont know if the software will allow it but all you need to do if you have XP is create a VPN connection and input the settings.

Advertisement