Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 years since jeff buckleys death

Options
  • 29-05-2002 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

ive been playing him all day. sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

hello o o o o *bad echo in here*

no one???

ill be sad by meself then.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I didn't know he was dead :(
    i only know of one of his songs...(hallelujah)
    could you recommend any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

probably because jeff didn't like ppl talking about him on the internet :)

Originally posted by Paulj

lover you should have come over
    dream brother
    eternal life
    mojo pin
    lilac wine...

and pretty much the whole Grace album... it really is a must buy. I wouldn't go with anything from Sketchs for my Sweetheart.. or the live stuff until you've heard the genius that is Grace.

Originally posted by Paulj
    anything!! his debut album Grace is lovely, and Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk is good too, thats all ive got tho. my fave songs are Lover you shouldve come over, and last goodbye.

• Advertisement

Kali, thats true, get Grace first!

The tim/jeff biography Dream Brother is a very good read as well, regardless if you like or know their music or not.. very well written unlike a few other biographys i've read recently, No One Gets Out Of Here Alive, (on Jim Morrisson) springs to mind

i liked the pearl jam biog, 5 against 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

I heard Jeff Buckley version of Dylans "I Shall be Released" on Today Fm (Glen Frames standing in for Donal Dineen) a few weeks ago. It was recorded live on some radio station in the States with Jeff singing the vocals over a phone line to the station and other lads playing guitars and backing vocals in the station. It was all very impromptu and really really good. Jeff actually sounded like he was having a great time. Anybody know if its available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Wow, 5 years...

I concur, Grace is a masterpiece, 'Sketches' is excellent too, but only after your introduction to Grace.

"I once was opened..."

Luc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by Kali

I wouldn't go with anything from Sketchs for my Sweetheart.. or the live stuff until you've heard the genius that is Grace.

True, except maybe for Live at Sin e. Just so you see where songs like Eternal Life came from before they went through the Studio mill. THe intro is class, where he starts it like his Da's ' i never asked to be your mountain'

Genius...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Passing of a genius, no doubt about it.
    Are there any events to mark this? I am sure Dave Fanning will be playing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

i'd recommend "live a l'Olympia" after u've heard Grace, a great version of Lover..., and some other great songs not on his debut, Thats all I ask and What will u do.
    5 years hmmm.... music lost one of its great

"I love u baby, I'll try to be better for u"

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

that was yesterday???? i can't believe i missed it!!!

If i was to recommend something it'd be The Eternal Life EP. Amazing live versions of Lover..., The way young lovers do, and eternal life, studio and live.

That and sin e ..... as i said before like....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

would it upset you to know I saw him live.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

You and half of Dublin, seeing as he played in Whelans and the Tivoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Didn't he play the Trinity Ball at one stage? Maan, I wonder did them young pups know just how lucky they were. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    would it upset you to know I saw him live.................

Yes. Damn you.

Originally posted by roxy
    Didn't he play the Trinity Ball at one stage?

nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Live at L'Olympia is an excellent album....esp. the version of Kashmir by Led Zepplin...funnest thing I ever heard...

One thing that does drive me cracked is the way they keep releasing *new* albums and then charge a fortune for them....

The only people that are getting any money from this are Sony records....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by deco
    Live at L'Olympia is an excellent album....esp. the version of Kashmir by Led Zepplin...funnest thing I ever heard...

One thing that does drive me cracked is the way they keep releasing *new* albums and then charge a fortune for them....

The only people that are getting any money from this are Sony records....

... and Jeff's mother who seems to be a complete greedy cow, many fans have questioned her intentions.

Deco, does your sig thingy have something to do with the band Turn?

Originally posted by darthmise
    Deco, does your sig thingy have something to do with the band Turn?

Shame on you ....it's monthy python

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

... and Jeff's mother who seems to be a complete greedy cow, many fans have questioned her intentions.
    Yeah, but its either her or Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

fine, maybe she's making a lot of money out of this, but some people might want to have as much of his material as the can. Also nobody's forcing anyone to buy the "new" albums, so obviously there's a demand for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Grace is one of my all time favourite albums. Buckley is just amazing I have never heard a vocalist who can rival his range.

Such a loss

Originally posted by mise
    fine, maybe she's making a lot of money out of this, but some people might want to have as much of his material as the can. Also nobody's forcing anyone to buy the "new" albums, so obviously there's a demand for them

Eh my point is that she is forcing ppl, she closed down the biggest jeff buckley bulliten online, which used to be die-hard fans, she's also gone to huge lengths to stop ppl sharing bootleg material. It's now obvious why as she releases yet another live album and reaps the profits. There are so many great jeff gigs and rare songs that ppl don't get to hear, its a shame she just won't let everyone share them.

Advertisement