Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Eircom free dialup

Options
  • 30-05-2002 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

They may be the enemy but for me they are the only fast free dialup available and yet for the last two weeks whenever I try and connect between 18.00 and 00.00 I get an engaged tone.

Either Eircom are making there service worsr to convince people broadband (:ahem: highspeed) is the way to go or they cant cope with demand between those hours.

If we go with option 2 that sort of suggests Irelands interest in the internet might be greater than Eircom care to admit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

have u tried ocenfree,utv,elive im sure i could think of more if i tried i find eircom are the worst dial up isp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This forum is not intended for people to bash Eircom without cause.

With that in mind:
    Eircom's dialup service is cat. As part of my "oh, Seamus knows about computers, let's get him to our house to sort out our Internet because he's our friend and won't mind"™ service, I've tried connecting with eircom.net from quite a number of locations in quite a number of counties. Without exception I get a slower connection with eircom than I do with, for example, IOL.

Can't remember exact figures for many of them but here's my situation (right in the middle of Limerick city):
    Connect with Eircom: never higher than 34.2kps
    Connect with IOL (NoLimits or Free, doesn't matter): always at least 49.2 (with one exception, that was almost two years ago). Right now: 50.6
    Connect with anyone else (utv, oceanfree, elive): always at least 49.2

There's nothing wrong with my phone line, PC or modem. I've tried putting in DNS server settings, I've tried leaving them out. I've changed the modem settings thirty different ways. Nothing doing.

Solution: eircom.net can go play with themselves. I'll be busy browsing faster with IOL.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm in shannon and unfortunately also use dial up. I usually use eircom and typically get 46.6 listed as the connect speed, and the odd time a low speed of 44.4 kbps. Just one of those things i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Try O2 dialup. Tis fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

dont think this is limited to a modem, between 7-10 i sometimes have to re-attempt to dialin 20 sometimes 40 times before it connects and this is on isdn with eircom dialup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I got this customer survey from eircom.net yesterday. Did others or are they being selective?

"Dear Customer,

eircom net are currently conducting a review of
    customer satisfaction with our products and services.
    We are also looking at future service offerings and
    would welcome your comments and feedback.

We would appreciate it if you could click on the
    link below and complete our Customer Satisfaction
    Survey. It will take less than one minute and will
    help us serve all of our customers in as efficient
    a manner as possible.

To take the survey please click on the link below:

http://feedback.eircom.net

Kind Regards,
    Customer Services
    eircom net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    I got this customer survey from eircom.net yesterday. Did others or are they being selective?

"Dear Customer,

eircom net are currently conducting a review of
    customer satisfaction with our products and services.
    We are also looking at future service offerings and
    would welcome your comments and feedback.

We would appreciate it if you could click on the
    link below and complete our Customer Satisfaction
    Survey. It will take less than one minute and will
    help us serve all of our customers in as efficient
    a manner as possible.

To take the survey please click on the link below:

http://feedback.eircom.net

Kind Regards,
    Customer Services
    eircom net

Well we all know what to do then, don't we? Click on the link and get everybody to fill out the survey and tell Eircom exactly what we think of their $hitty services and demand flat-rate access and cheaper broadband right NOW! That's what I'm off to do now, anyway. I think if we all filled it in they would have to take some sort of notice of hundreds of disgruntled customers and people demanding flat-rate. Then again, this is Eircom we're talking about here so they would probably pick up the survey results and chuck them in the bin straight away and say, "HA! What the hell do these people know!"

Anyway, let's all give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I used Gateway when it was running, I use IOL but I find it gives me much higher pings when gaming, I get really bad connections from UTV.

I'll try elive and 02 :)

Where do you connect to 02's service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I've gotten connect rates of 54,666bps and 53000bps with elive (well, around that) and I live in Kildare... lol, i live right next to the exchange basically, and i still only get 50,666bps with Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I connected to Digifone OnLine and elive and I connect at 48,000 every time, I'm guessing they're both run by the same ISP because both numbers are identical except for the last two digits. When Im browsing its nice and fast but when I try to play CS I get massive ping spikes :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement