Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 pin socket converter for a fan plug?

• 23-07-2001 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

is it possible to buy a socket converter so plug a heatsink fan in to one of the smaller power supply plug's?

I have an asus a7v and the fan on the heatsink will not work in any of the fan sockets!(i know the fan is not broken)

Anyone ever heard of this problem?

thanks
    toil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Yes, I have had this problem before (several times)

I believe what you are talking about is the power plug coming off the fan, is small, designed to be plugged onto the motherboard?

However you dont have this socket on your motherboard, you are looking for a larger power connecter (like the one going into a hard drive or cdrom)

The way I overcame this, was by soldering the big power connector onto the fans wires, not very nice or conveniant to do, but it works.

If you need more help with it, or if you are in Dublin, you can email me and pop down to where I work (Laser Computers), and I'll make you up one...

RentZ

[This message has been edited by Renton (edited 23-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

hey!
    sounds good...emailed you.
    Anyone any ideas for why my fan sockets are not working?

I also found a site that sells 4 pin socket converters!
    was in america tho!

toil

hey Rentz,

you get my email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try and get a big power connector, (molex connector) perhaps from an old pc. leave some wire on it, and then join your fan wires (the red and black) to the yellow and the black beside the yellow. You don't have to solder them if you don't have the equipment or whatever, just strip off a centimetre of the insulation on each wire, twist the wires together and make sure to cover the joints in insulating tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

What gerry said
    !

• Advertisement

hey,
    thanks guys....
    Was going to do that but wanted to do something that would be a bit cleaner :-)

Thanks

toil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

its dirty but it works, did it last week, no troubles. (so far) wink.gif

Advertisement