Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

movie-licious

Options
  • 30-05-2002 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

i just watched a truly wonderful film called "magnolia"... really different, really interesting, really thought-provoking. quite artsy too. anyone here seen it and have thoughts on said movie? i'd love to know if anyone else liked it, or if everyone just thought it was surreal for the sake of it.

(not enough films have frogs raining out of the sky these days.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hi Beretta,

Absolutely class movie and a wonderful soundtrack to boot. I saw it in the Screen when it was out first and loved it (my companion was less than impressed!) and have seen it a couple of times since. Brilliantly scripted and acted (even Tom Cruise god help us) and Aimee Manns soundtrack is totally ideal. Reccommend it to anyone.

Regards,

Enthusiastic Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i recorded it, was gonna watch it but wanted to watch BB. It was on sky premier, so i had to record it off the decoder channel on the video, and if any of my brothers changed the decoder buttons while it was recording i will go nuts!!!!
    buti ahve the soundtrack, coz i had this big amiee mann phase. i HATE it. well..its not that abd, but iw as listening to fiona apple at the tme and i think aimmee pales in comparison, although i lovwe wise up. but yeah, the films supoosed to bew good )its 3 hours isnt it?) so i'll give u my actual review and not waffle tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Too right - that 'Wise Up' montage is a pearl of a moment.

What's that director going to do next? 'Boogie Nights' & 'Magnolia' are both class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I LOVE MAgnolia!! I bought it on video last year and I start crying like a baby everytime I watch it... which is quite pathetic I suppose but GOD its sad!! The part where they all sing Wise Up is great..youd think it would be really cheesy but not at all!! It is 3 hours or somethin but it doesnt feel too long at all... everyone go watch it!!!:D
    Also its the only movie I can watch Tom Cruise without wanting to rip his head off! Which is always a bonus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Very long and very unaffecting.

"a great character piece"...I'm sure the critics said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

extremely dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

yeah wasnt very impressed by it, it was way too long, but then at the end i was hoping there was more, if only to justify the time i had wasted watching it
    a friend said it was very good, but it bored the pants off me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

brilliant film one o my favourites, if you have a dvd player may i reccamend the dvd its got 2 discs with it the film {obviously} and a great making of that goes on for about an hour, out takes and the video for save me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Welcome to the PT Anderson lovers club! <-erm that sounds a bit dodgy! Anyway, check out Hard Eight (AKA Sidney) and Boogie Nights too while you're at it. <-erm that sounds a bit dodgy!

Anyway, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

While I loved it the first time I watched it, subsequent viewings haven't been the best... you pick up one or two more things here and there but after seeing the beauty that is Amélie I don't think I'll be taking the Magnolia DVD down from the shelf for a while :)

(bonus disk is great tho.. especially the TJ Mackey Seminar)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by lamda
    I LOVE MAgnolia!! I bought it on video last year and I start crying like a baby everytime I watch it...

uh oh
    im just about to watch it, and ive only just stopped crying after watching e.r. (yes i know i am pathetic, but it was SAD!!!!!)

Advertisement