Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN - - - (Adapter vs Modem)

• 30-05-2002 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct board but it's the closest I can find.

Can anybody explain the differences and advantages or disadvantages of internal ISDN modem card and external terminal adapter??

Or do I need both?

I am thinking of getting ISDN at home and am unsure what I need.

Wolfman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

There is technically no such thing as an "ISDN modem" since there is nothing to modulate / demodulate.

An ISDN Terminal Adaptor (TA) is what you're looking for.

There is no technical difference between an internal or external TA. I personally tend to go for external ones since I like being able to physically see the diagnostic LEDs.

The only constraint with an internal TA is ensuring that you have a free slot for it on the motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

i have an internal isdn card and it works good it was cheap as well only 45 euro iv never used a external isdn ta but iv heard proformance can be poor if it connects to the usb port
    what ever u do dont buy a ta off eircom they are horribly overpriced

Advertisement