Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginner stuff

Options
  • 30-05-2002 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm really just starting coding atm. I hope to learn alot in the summer. Busy with exams next week atm :( but anyway I have done a bit of C and the very very basics of python. I think it's python I'll continue :) I've been trying to think of ways to practise what I learn. One such program a person I know wants to write in C is one that does the following:
    Prints out files. This may seems a bit vague but it's all for practise.

What I want to know is how do you get C to print stuff to the printer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

there's a good tutorial on c at {snip} ok enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whoop, edit that, someone has changed ****. Still sucks though.......that's not very nice Ruaidhri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

You will need to learn about the platform that you're program will run on. In order to access hardware you must use the operating systems API. C alone does not contain anything platform specific so you need to use the OS librarys.

This will probably be win32 in you're case. What you need is a windows compiler (any MSVC++ or Borland will do) and the Windows Platform SDK documentation. In the GDI section theres information about how to interface to a printer.

Have a mooch around here for more info about writing windows programs.

Advertisement